Optima V2 or Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subs

Reaction score
I"m just getting into the muzzleloader thing and I'm looking to make my first purchase. I've done some extensive interweb researching on this subject but before I make my decision, I wanted to hear from some guys that own the two. I was set on the Optima V2 because of it's features to price ratio and the fact that it would be about 7.5lbs ready to hunt with the scope and ring combo I've chosen.

This weekend a clearance sale started at a major supplier and I can now get the Accura V2 for just $25 more than I can find the Optima. I am looking at the models with open sites, stainless, and black stocks.

I know the Accura is an excellent deal but weight is a factor in my set ups. I've only shouldered an Optima. I've heard the Optima triggers are good (felt good to me), it shouldered well for me, Are there any real world reasons I would get the Accura over the Optima besides that fact that it's just a great price? Will the barrel be that much better in hunting applications?

I know this has been pretty beat up but I've not seen anyone comparing the two when price is relatively the same. Thanks!

Most likely you've read all the reviews and features of both. If you buy one and for some reason don't like muzzleloading, you may do better money wise selling the Accura V2 that you bought on sale.

I know I would buy the Accura because my son's is a great shooter and shoulders nice.

Most likely if you keep searching, you will find an Optima on sale too.

If I read this right, I don't believe he has bought one yet...asking for feedback on both before making a purchase.

I have both. They are both excellent shooters. The trigger on the Optima is an excellent trigger. I personally think the Accura V2 is certainly worth paying $25 more, if just for the soft touch stock. The best CVA rifle, IMO, is the Accura MR, which I also have. All the extra features of the Accura V2 over the Optima, is lighter than the Optima and the fit and balance for me is better than either the Optima or The Accura V2.

Thanks for the responses Gentlemen. The same retailer ended up putting the Optima V2 Nitride package up for a good deal ($140 off retail) as well so I picked that up. I already have a scope and mount so by the time I sell those, I'll have the Nitride package put together for less than I could have assembled the regular stainless version.

I'm looking forward to getting into this. One of the reasons I hadn't considered the MR version is because I anticipate needing open sights on this ML. I'll have opportunities to hunt states that require open sights and #11 caps which is another thing that drew me to the CVA.

Thanks again!

The Optima V2 is a good shooter. I had mine out just yesterday shooting up some 300 grn Barnes expanders with 70 grns by wt. Black Horn 209. Normally I shoot the 300 grn Thor. Not sure you can shoot #11 cap.

GM54-120 said:
As far as i know most if not all states requiring percussion ignition also require it is exposed. CVA sells both the firing pin assembly and NW QRBP to comply with the restrictions. The total for the parts is under $40 IIRC.

NW QRBP
http://shop.cva.com/pc_product_detail.a ... CD4D03FFFF

Musket Cap firing pin assembly
http://shop.cva.com/pc_product_detail.a ... 03A44CF2B0

The parts above and the simple conversion are what I was referencing. Seems to me to be the easiest to convert this gun to comply with all state regulations if needed.

Latest posts

Back