getting ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I don't know why I'm making a thread on this, lol, but I have been buying all the things I need to get ready for next season. I guess the winter time is a good a time as any to do this. I ordered those .452x265 Lehigh bullets and a bunch of different sabots to test for fit and it looks like the harvester smooth black long and short sabots have the correct fit, so does the hph-24 so will try those three to find the winner. also today I shimmed the firing pin bushing for a .004 crush fit with the cci magnum primers and the hammer wouldn't stay back so had to back off to a .001 or .002 crush fit. almost ready to shoot, need to adjust the crosshair a little, I don't think it's perfectly horizontal yet. also today I fit the new blackhorn breech plug to the wolf.

the federal and cci magnum primers mike about the same length but like I say the hammer won't stay back if I shim the bushing enough for a .004 crush fit with these primers. I am halfway considering going back to the Winchester blue box even though I'll probably be using blackhorn. those things will seal for sure, they did beautifully this past season with no shims.

Your making a thread because your excited. No other reason needed, we all have been there. Getting the crosshairs perfectly horizontal is a pain for me to. Even when I used the levels that your supposed to that came with my Wheeler scope mounting kit they never seem right when I shoulder the gun. I've come to the conclusion that I can't the gun just a bit or my cheek is crooked.

thanks guys, yeah 03mossy, I have the same issues leveling the crosshairs and I also have a very nice level set which I don't use anymore as it always seems off. I generally want the vertical crosshair vertical with my buttstock, by backing my eye up enough so I can see both at the same time. also might do the same thing by looking at a vertical surface of the back ring if possible and look at the vertical crosshair at the same time. I feel I get closer this way than using the levels, lol. really happy with these vortex diamondback scopes too at 199 each.

redear said:
the federal and cci magnum primers mike about the same length but like I say the hammer won't stay back if I shim the bushing enough for a .004 crush fit with these primers. I am halfway considering going back to the Winchester blue box even though I'll probably be using blackhorn. those things will seal for sure, they did beautifully this past season with no shims.

The W209 is all you need even with BH... when shooting a Lehigh/Knight BP

When shimmed correctly they come out looking like this

Ulite_Spent_Primers.jpg

sabotloader, this is a cva wolf stainless with the western powders breech plug which I just installed. what do you think about using w209's with this bp? I had to shim .025 to get the federal magnum primers to crushfit even .002 same thing with the cci magnums. doesn't make sense to me that I had to shim .025 to make up a .007 difference in primer length. I do like the quality of this breech plug, haven't shot it yet.

Instead of all the levels. I just make sure a scope is square with the base. (and rely on the base being correct) I use a metal ruler from a carpenters square, rested on a base, and canted to touch the flat on the bottom of the turrets. Heres some stolen pics of the style.
Scope-Mounting-Leveling.jpg

Schryver-gun-sales-scope-leveling-system11.jpg

scopesetup02.jpg

Between that and a DNZ nevel tool, I just square the scope to the gun, instead of leveling this and that and then those, and relying on every step to be true.

squeeze, thanks for that post, I never thought about that, I'll double check using that way.

I always have to set my scopes to my eye also if I level them to the rifle the cross hairs are crooked when shouldered

redear said:
squeeze, thanks for that post, I never thought about that, I'll double check using that way.

I'll second that. I'm a woodworker who has been setting up my own scopes for a while and this idea never crossed my mind. I'm gong to use this method on a couple I have to set up this week.

I never could figure out why the cross hairs have to be lined up so one is parallel to the horizon; if the "x" is what I'm looking at , I only care if the center of the "X" is on my target ....... no doubt there's a good reason to have then level - but I never thought it important

Latest posts

Back