Optima v2 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzy2002

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting another muzzleloader eventually, i have had different muzzleloaders in the past, and have a couple old rifles that work great at the moment (Cva hawken, TC firehawk) but looking for something different, newer, and capable of 100 yds or more. I hunt whitetail, and shoot year round or as much as I can a honestly. I've been looking at the Cva Optima V2 pistol because I've never had anything like it, and they look fun. They also look easier to carry on longer walks and some say they are very accurate and good for hunting. Can anyone give me some advice on these or any info?

Pics of my current ML
Thompson center firehawk .50
72597a1462b461d2fe1e3570972241a5.jpg

Cva hawken .50
50f301835ab1da95c99f409a9671c894.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one and have it scoped vs the reflex sight that it came with. Very accurate weapon inside 100 yards with the 100 grains of Pyrodex and a 250 grain .45 cal XTP/sabot. This load is a kicker and I have started to scale back on the load simply because I don't think I need all that whooomp inside the 100 yards. I'm just now starting to work with Blackhorn 209 and will likely stay with that 250 gr. XTP, possibly a 240 gr to see how it patterns at 50 yards. I have shot both .44 cal and .45 cal 300 grain XTP's, both the standard bullet and the magnum, and they do ok for accuracy but the recoil takes a big step uphill when shooting the heavier bullets.

I don't free hand shoot this critter. At the range all of my shots are off a bench with bags. In my deer stand the side walls offer the rest. The buck I shot last fall with this pistol showed incredible energy release at impact of the bullet. It was a thru and thru hit in the chest, just nicking the knee on the left front leg, thru the chest and then angling upward a little before going thru the right shoulder just above the knee. That right shoulder bone was totally full of spider-web fractures and when the deer hit the ground pieces of lung tissue were found hanging out of its nostrils.

For a short-range weapon on deer I have no problem saying go for it. Its a fun one on the range and fun in the woods too. Very accurate.

MrTom said:
I have one and have it scoped vs the reflex sight that it came with. Very accurate weapon inside 100 yards with the 100 grains of Pyrodex and a 250 grain .45 cal XTP/sabot. This load is a kicker and I have started to scale back on the load simply because I don't think I need all that whooomp inside the 100 yards. I'm just now starting to work with Blackhorn 209 and will likely stay with that 250 gr. XTP, possibly a 240 gr to see how it patterns at 50 yards. I have shot both .44 cal and .45 cal 300 grain XTP's, both the standard bullet and the magnum, and they do ok for accuracy but the recoil takes a big step uphill when shooting the heavier bullets.

I don't free hand shoot this critter. At the range all of my shots are off a bench with bags. In my deer stand the side walls offer the rest. The buck I shot last fall with this pistol showed incredible energy release at impact of the bullet. It was a thru and thru hit in the chest, just nicking the knee on the left front leg, thru the chest and then angling upward a little before going thru the right shoulder just above the knee. That right shoulder bone was totally full of spider-web fractures and when the deer hit the ground pieces of lung tissue were found hanging out of its nostrils.

For a short-range weapon on deer I have no problem saying go for it. Its a fun one on the range and fun in the woods too. Very accurate.

Man this is awesome!! What's the max load for this gun? I thought I read somewhere that it can handle 150gr of powder but I could be wrong. If I got one I'd definitely have a scope on it. It looks like a good gun that's why I wanted to get one. Looks easy to carry with the case they sell for it. I do a lot of walking in the woods so carrying a rifle gets tiring after a while. Feel free to post some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max blackpowder load is 100 grains. I haven't tried any other substitute except a couple of white hot pellet loads [2 pellets per] but didn't like the hard loading on a second shot. You have to find out what something like 777, both pellets and loose powder, will max out at. Blackhorn will max out at 70 grains if the charge is weighed on a scale, which I highly recommend. My starting load of the 209 powder has been 56 grains, weighed. That's 80 grains in a measure by volume. I'm still using the 250 grain XTP at this charge.

Somewhere I read that the heaviest bullet in this pistol should not be more than 300, 350 grains. In my test shooting prior to the last deer season I used a lot of 300 grain fodder and after 15 shots would literally have bruised palms from the recoil. Backing off to a 250 grain bullet is way more comfortable to shoot and I am planning on digging into a box of 240 grain XTP's yet this spring. Honestly I think the maximum range for accurate hunting shots is probably in the 50 yard area and I feel that a 240 grain XTP will do just as much killing inside that range as a 250 grain will even if the load is a little less. Make no bones about it. If you load this gun up you are going to get beat. Like any gun, the maximum load is probably going to be quite a ways away from be the most accurate load....the best load for hunting. Or plinking for that matter.

Thanks for the tip!! If you ever wanna sell the pistol hit me up lol

Muzzy2002 said:

I pretty much love this gun. Gonna hang onto it.

MrTom said:
Muzzy2002 said:

I pretty much love this gun. Gonna hang onto it.
lol I had to try

My V2 pistol likes a .452/300gr XTP in crushrib sabot an 80gr BH209 Volume. I tried triple seven an got a crud ring from the primer. It shot great, but I just try to avoid that crud if I can, its not there using BH powder with multiple loading no swabbing needed.

I took mine hunting last season an soon discovered the small Bushnell scope doesn't allow much light an I was not happy with the view in a hunting situation. I never got a shot...If you use a scope a sunny day would be my choice for hunting, but most deer are moving in early/late evening light.
I will take it with me for a second shot, if needed.

Like said you will want to hold onto the gun with both hands, she will kick! I like the Primos trigger stick for a steady rest.

MrTom said:
Muzzy2002 said:

I may get one of these or I may get another rifle not sure yet. I really love my hawken and firehawk but I would like something I can get with a scope so my wife can use my firehawk which has a scope on it. She's just starting out with muzzleloader this year so I think the firehawk would be a good starter for her. My hawken is fun to shoot at the range. If I can get it sighted in right I may just take a chance with.

Here's my toy. I'm looking at a bi-pod system right now for mine but really my deer stand has full sidewalls that afford a ton of support and unlimited shooting options. I'm more interested in a decent holster system to carry this brute.

I have a gun case for a short, scoped rifle/carbine and plan to take it with the pistol to a shoe repair shop where they can cut and stitch heavier materials. I want to eliminate the zipper entirely and create a flap closure with a decent snap. Once the holster is fashioned I'll undertake a belt/ over-the-shoulder strap that can be adjusted to suit clothing. Right now this critter travels to and from the stand in a swing pack that I wear on the front so I can get to the unit if needed. Works, but a pain. I want a holster for this. I'll keep ya'll up-dated on the holster project.

I just ordered one. Thanks.

I have ordered two different holsters for this unit and both have been miserable fits and were returned. One was a $90 piece that was supposedly made for the CVA pistol but the gun would slip in about 2/3 of the way and hang up. The other one was made out of some stiff, stiff whatever and just getting the pistol completely holstered was a joke and removing it was so noisy that it could have gotten heard in a school for the deaf. I knew this one was out there but sort of set the idea aside after the other two but I'll give it a go. There have been quite a few sold specifically for this gun and I didn't see any negative flak so I ordered. I'll keep this updated.

Again, thanks Halloflin.

I want one of these pistols in the worst way lol. Everyone is out of stock t seems because of the time Of year I think.

toytruck said:
halloflin said:
Here is what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scoped-Shoulder ... SwKIpWFDiF

They also make it in black.
I bought the same holster for my V2 pistol from Amazon!! The original design was for the T/C Contender pistol. The holster works, perfect fit even with the scope! The only thing I don't care for is the flap is noisy when removing, but it comes off. So if I was stalking game with this gun I would remove the flap first.

Thats the best price ive seen on one!

Back