I'm embarassed to ask...why are there no threads on the bullet seater

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymguy

Reaction score
Ive got 2 different bullet seaters that came with packages of precision rifle bullets. They have no threads, i thought the threaded into the rod, clearly im wrong ! was hoping to shoot my new to me Knight this weekend, guess ive got ALOT more reasearch to do
Ben

Ive gotten a few of those too, not from precision.. I think maybe harvester scorpion bulk? I never used them, but im pretty sure they came threaded. Little black plastic jobbers? maybe they are soft enough to thread themselves into the ramrod.

Those are the plastic seaters from PR you are talking about right? They pack those in every box as far as I remember. Most stock ramrod jags have a threaded hole in them. Put the unthreaded part of that plastic seater in and twist/screw it into your jag. Make sure you get it all the way in till it bottoms out on the jag and stops but don't twist it off. If you leave it sticking out it can flex to the side and break off. They work ok for what they are.

I added a picture. One loose and one partially screwed into a jag.

Yep! I have some of them. But I prefer the metal ones. Also the knurled ones can be used with/as a cleaning jag. And that way you don't have to change heads.

so the idea is that the rod its self will cut the threads on the plastic bullet seater ?

zymguy said:
so the idea is that the rod its self will cut the threads on the plastic bullet seater ?
Yup. They are tapered a little so they just twist in. Might need a plyer for last turn depending on your Grip.

Got spinjag for 50 and 45. Some of those high BC bullets, like Parker and Pittmans, take special loading jags to protect the bullet tips. Mostly I shoot hollow points, and cast FN so regular tip OK. W

Back