Peep sight question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilcan

Reaction score
I just ordered my first Muzzleloader its a CVA Accura V2 scope combo. I plan on leaving the scope on to work up a load but I will be Deer hunting in Nevada which requires open sights so I will be switching to peep sights before the hunt.
It doesn't come with either front or back sights so I will need both.
Does anyone have any recommendations ?
I like the Lee Shaver inserts and was wondering if you have to buy his front sight or do they fit in other brands ?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Truglo, Williams and E Arthur Brown all offer and sight for accura.

Tx I called and made sure before I ordered it but thanks. That would be a big problem to find out afterwards.

Oilcan said:
I just ordered my first Muzzleloader its a CVA Accura V2 scope combo. I plan on leaving the scope on to work up a load but I will be Deer hunting in Nevada which requires open sights so I will be switching to peep sights before the hunt.
It doesn't come with either front or back sights so I will need both.
Does anyone have any recommendations ?
I like the Lee Shaver inserts and was wondering if you have to buy his front sight or do they fit in other brands ?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Not sure if a peep sight is available for that rifle or not? But i can answer the Lee Shaver insert part, i use Shaver inserts in a Lyman 17 series Globe front sight. The Shavers Globe front sights are REALLY nice but also spendy, i like the Level in his, i dont own a Shavers Globe but i do have 3 insert cards for the Lyman 17 Globe, my favorite is his fine post bead

Just finished the install yesterday it took some modifying but looks good.
Williams rear ghost ring with lyman 17 globe in front and lee shaver inserts.

Oilcan said:
Just finished the install yesterday it took some modifying but looks good.
Williams rear ghost ring with lyman 17 globe in front and lee shaver inserts.

I have had to modify nearly every Lyman 17 Globe i have installed, they are to big to fit the dovetail, i take material off the bottom of the dove on the Lyman 17s, keep checking with my calipers til i get them to fit. The Shavers inserts REALLY make a difference for me, they are super fine and allow me to see my target clearly, the stock inserts that come with the Lyman 17s are big/bulky for my liking, Idahoron was the one that told me to try the Lee Shavers inserts and boy am i glad i did! They are a BPCR insert, You get a card of like 20 of them in different styles for 20 bucks,

I had to opposite problem with my 17 globe it was to loose in the dovetail.

Can someone post some pictures of the front globe sights??? Also links to purchase sight from.

I bought the EAbrown rail for my accura v2 and with scope really nice. Came with the rear peep. I just need to convert the front to globe type peep. SUggestions????

MARTIN LOADER said:
Can someone post some pictures of the front globe sights??? Also links to purchase sight from.

I bought the EAbrown rail for my accura v2 and with scope really nice. Came with the rear peep. I just need to convert the front to globe type peep. SUggestions????

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/17-series/

LS17500375%252520.375%252520dt%252520.500%252520ht__29121.1383287283.1280.1280.jpg

Note the front sight assemblies come in various heights, so there would be a little research involved for the particular rifle.

Those Lee Shavers globes are NICE, REALLY NICE with that bubble level it would make for an AWESOME long ranger! But they are also spendy compared to the Lyman 17 series, BUT you get what you pay for (some of the time that is) With my Hawken and Renegades i went with the 17AHB, it is the lowest of the 17 Series, i prefer a lower cheek weld, another advantage in my opinion is this allows my tang mounted peep bridge to run quite a bit lower, giving me more height adjustment with the peep bridge. Another method is to fashion a shim under the tang mounted peep (you actually should do this anyway on the old sidelocks as they tend to tip forward) Idahoron fashioned a nice looking wedge shaped shim for his Hotrod .45 Cal, i used stainless/and or brass washers that fit perfectly across the Tang, doesn't look quite as cool as Ron's but serves the same purpose. Ron runs the Lyman 17AML front globe which is a little taller than my AHB, I guess I didn't need to ramble on about setting up a tang mounted peep on a Sidelock since you are asking about the globe fronts for an accura, But I figured you might wanna read it as bad as i wanted to type it? LOL

So for us guys having to us open sights on CVA ACCURA V2 only during Muzzleloading season can anyone share what front sight they used.

How does a person select the desired height needed?? I really don't want to buy and return.
MARTIN

MARTIN LOADER said:
So for us guys having to us open sights on CVA ACCURA V2 only during Muzzleloading season can anyone share what front sight they used.

How does a person select the desired height needed?? I really don't want to buy and return.
MARTIN

Here's what I would do:

Order the rear peep sight you plan to use and install it, keeping the factory front sight on the rifle then go and shoot it. If the factory height is okay to zero where you want without having to crank the peep all the way up/down in elevation (in other words your rear peep can zero but maintains some amount of up/down elevation) then order a globe sight that will place your aiming point very close to the height of your front sight.

If with the peep sight and factory front you can't zero the rifle, then you'll need a different sized front sight. Take some notes on how far off your shots are hitting compared to where you want them, then call tech support for whomever you plan to buy your front sight and talk to them.

Alternately, if you know your rear height, front height, sight radius and distance to target you can mathematically figure out all these numbers.

Thanks you so much that was very helpful sound advice. I can do in steps and hopefully find most appropriate front sight rather then just duplicating what other are doing.

TO THE RANGE I GO HI HO HI HO...........
THANKS AGAIN
MARTIN

Back