Got a (new to me) Muzzleloader and not sure what to do...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Goodday. I was given this flintlock rifle from a friend of mine. His (soon to be ex) wife wanted it out of the house and he never used it. So he gave it to me for helping him clean his gutters. Its a InvestArms (Not sure but that's what he told me) .54cal Flintlock rifle. I honestly don't know how to start using this rifle but i need help to figure it out. I know i need black powder but i don't even know what to look for there. I only have a couple of center fire rifles and a handgun i shoot and reload for but that's it. So i figure after a google search, this seemed to be the best place to figure it out.

for a .54 flintlock rifle, my suggestion of what you need to get started shooting it would be this:

.54 caliber jag for your ramrod to load and clean with
.530 diameter lead balls
.018 inch thick shooting patches
some kind of lube for the shooting patches - although plain spit will work
3Fg Black powder - you should be able to use it both for the main charge and for priming the pan, second choice would be 2Fg black powder (if you want to go all out you could get 4Fg powder for pan priming only and use 2Fg or 3Fg for the main charge)
adjustable powder measure - mine goes from 30 to 120 grains
extra flints - eventually you will need to replace the flint to keep it sparking
cotton cleaning patches
a vent pick to clear the vent hole is nice too
perhaps a book on loading and shooting a flintlock

That should at least get you started
also - always always remember to thoroughly clean and lubricate the rifle after each shooting session otherwise you could end up sad with a very rusty corroded muzzleloader
This place has everything you might need for a traditional muzzleloader

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Latest posts

Back