What is a good conicle shooting inline to buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkchop401

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a inline that will shoot lead conicles with good accuracy (3-4" @100) for elk and bear hunting in Colorado . I have tried shooting lead cornicle's (no excuses 460 gr.) from a Thompson Omega with dismal results. Not looking for a long ranger but a solid 100yd gun.

Iv had good luck with the tc qla guns by stacking a few nitro cards between the bullet and powder get the bullet out of the qla before the gasses hit it. Might be worth a try.

You might try 350gr FPB's in the omega. I was having the same problem as you. Tried these with 90gr of BH209 and am getting 3-4 in groups at 100 with rear peep and normal front bead. Leaving for Co in a month.

My Omega threw the No Excuses bullets all over the place too. It shot the Thor bullets really well though. You might try some? I'm currently shooting a Knight ultralight and it shoots the Thor's really well too.

porkchop401 said:
I am looking to purchase a inline that will shoot lead conicles with good accuracy (3-4" @100) for elk and bear hunting in Colorado . I have tried shooting lead cornicle's (no excuses 460 gr.) from a Thompson Omega with dismal results. Not looking for a long ranger but a solid 100yd gun.

Buy a Knight Vision or CVA Accura. They shoot conicals better than T.C guns. I recommend this particular Knight because I am not a fan of plunger or bolt-action MLs.

Just make sure on the do's and don'ts / what restrictions Colorado muzzleloader laws have. Every state has different laws on muzzleloader styles allowed.

I am shooting the 300 grain Thor out of my Optima with excellent results. I also have the Vision and have no doubt that it could shoot conicals very well. I shoot the Hornady 265 grn 44cal FTX out of the Vision also with good results.

I bought a cva optima I have always shot maxi balls boy what a disappointment it just shoot them all over the place 777 powder

Assuming your Omega has the QLA, you could try as mentioned above to see if you can get it to shoot, or you could cut off the QLA. I know folks that have cut it off have ended up with good conical shooters. I think there are even some threads here on how to do it.

Or hunt around and find a used/like new Knight MK-85. They shoot conicals well. White's as mentioned are great conical shooters, just alot less of them around and they tend to be more expensive.

Latest posts

Back