Wolf on the way.. Now what?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraash

Reaction score
Sorry to be such a noob. I'm wondering what to expect in the box? What tools will I need?

Also is there a general consensus on what powder/bullet combo the wolf likes best?

Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to ad another ridiculously expensive hobby :D

You will need two tools. Slotted screw driver to tighten the forend stock to the barrel and the tool to seat the Breach Plug. When I got my Optima I didn't have the BP tool so I used a very large screw driver. Couldn't see buying the tool only to use it one time. I would recommend that you purchase the Black Horn breach plug and use that powder. I would start off with something like 300 grn Hornady xtp and 90 grns of BH. Work your way up too 110 grns in five grain increments to find the best group. IMPORTANT: THIS IS A MEASURED VOLUME AND NOT A MEASURED WEIGHT.

That's one of my loads.... 90gr of volume powder and 300gr/44cal XTP.

Check for hard, crusty BH209 fouling inside the breechplug often at the range. Keep both ends clear or hangfires may occur. Drill bit on one end and a long, unraveled safety pin for the flashhole (what I use). No need to unscrew the breechplug and remove it to clean the ends every several shots at the range.

When you get the gun back home, then remove the plug for a more thorough cleaning.

Back