On bullets and such

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toytruck said:
halloflin said:
Primers: Winchester 209 (blue box, not magnum); CCI209 or Federal 209A.

I have had no issues with the W209

I 2nd that!! W209 have always worked for me!!

Can't find winchesters anywhere either ... This is frustrating, I was sure I had seen them on a shelf at some point.

Just get a hundred of whatever shotgun primers you can get your hands on and give them a go. There aren't many brands that haven't been mentioned at least once in this thread. The only one I can think of that no ones said thy use is Cheddite. Just stay away from the ML 209's.

I'm on a road trip and found a place near here that had Winchester, cci209m and federal209a. Now I have to many choices. Is there a best? Or maybe get all?

Best depends on fit and plug being used. In my Knights the best has been Win209 and Fed209A. I see very little difference between the Fed and CCI209M. I use the CCIs in my NULA because its what fits the best.

I always recommend the Win209 for starters. Keep the flash channel clean and you should not have any problems. Mag primers just build carbon faster in the flash channel and could even possibly wear the flash hole faster. Only use mags if you NEED them such as in extreme cold or in a marginal quality breach plug.

Since you are making the trip, check and see if they have some Fiocchi 209s too. They are a good primer for CVAs and usually pretty cheap. They are short so you may need to adjust headspace or use an o-ring in the primer pocket.

kraash said:
I'm on a road trip and found a place near here that had Winchester, cci209m and federal209a. Now I have to many choices. Is there a best? Or maybe get all?

I have used both CCI209M and Federal 209A primers in my CVA Accura with zero complaints on either. My preference is CCI, but that is based strictly on my personal opinion and not on any real world data.

On XTP's I use a cupped starter on the rod and have no issues with deformed bullets from seating. I think the one I use was a CVA accessory and cost about $2.00.

kraash said:
What's the best bullet starter for the hornady xtp's? Does it even mater?

I don't think it matters. XTP is a round profile hollow point, so I've used various starters without a problem, including several inexpensive starters.

I really like the SpinJag, as it does a good job loading and cleaning. If spending an extra $20 is in your budget, I'd recommend looking at a SpinJag.

kraash said:
What's the best bullet starter for the hornady xtp's? Does it even mater?

Where are you in SE Michigan? I have all kinds of XTPs, sabots and many 100pks of Federal 209A's I can offer you for a free trial. I live in Clinton Township.
PM Me!

Used both 300gr xtp and sst. Both did there job very well.

Sticking with xtp just because they are cheap and my shots are pretty much all sub 100yds.

Latest posts

Back