On bullets and such

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraash

Reaction score
I know there is a ton of information here on the forums, but I find the search feature to be a tad hard to use, and what I am finding is making my head explode. So please allow yet another n00b projectile question.

Here's what I have so far; cva wolf, bh209 (with conversion plug). Planning on using cci 209m when I can find them.

What I need to figure out is what to shoot out of it and where to find it. I was leaning toward 245g Powerbelts after a blog review showed 100 yard results of <1moa. But after reading more than a few threads it seems pb's are hated. (This will be used for white tail 50-150y)
Worse still when I go online to look at what's recommender often, I'm seeing prices no better than pb's if I can find the rounds which is almost never. Is there some super secret web site? Besides Natchez-midsouth-midway ext?

Any help would be awesome. I'm hoping to start getting on paper within a week or 2. I feel like I need extra range time since this is my first ever ml.

Thanks a bunch

PowerBelts don't seem to be very well liked on this site, but I think it has more to do with their performance on deer than their performance at the range. Something worth noting.
The Hornady XTP's are very popular here, especially the 300 grain version. They are accurate, effective and reasonably priced.
Personally, I've been using T/C Shockwaves for a long time and I've been happy with them.

Thanks guys, much appreciated,
Am I missing a good web site for ML supplies?

I ask as I notice that there's a link to gafs :wall:

Can't find any place with the 300g in stock, on line or otherwise. Use the xtp 240g or something else?

You are correct, most of us shooters here are buying our bullets and sabots separately. It's cheaper and allows you more options. Most of the bullets suggested are pistol bullets used in reloading metallic cartridges. Sabots can be bought directly from MMP, Harvester or other outlets.

So wolf, blackhorn 209, xtp 300 grain.

Now I just need to decide on primers and sabots :D

Primers: Winchester 209 (blue box, not magnum); CCI209 or Federal 209A.

I have had no issues with the W209

So I'm starting to wish I never went anywhere near blackhorn. There is not one single place within a hundred miles of se Michigan that has either cci209m or federal 209a primers which are the two recommended by BH. I see now why so many people just grab pellets and primers as Walmart and go shoot

Thanks for the tips. Guess I might try the winchesters or cci reg as those are both to be found around town

Harvester Smooth Black SHORT even if using a 300gr bullet.
90701d02ae3da0e5a21abbd900c25748_XL.jpg

Latest posts

Back