Using BH 209 with PP and lead conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockky

Reaction score
Has anyone used BH 209 with lead conicals or PP bullets?

I have just started shooting conicals recently and haven't had much luck when using any powder except pyrodex.

So far I can't nail down whether it's a velocity issue or burn temp. I never could get good accuracy with patches round balls using BH 209 or 777 due to patches getting burned up.

I haven't had the chronograph out yet when using reduced charges of blackhorn 209 to see if it still burns consistent with 60-75gr charges.

Ive shot lead conicals with BH209 but the lightest has been a 350gr in a 45cal. You will want to try either a wool wad or veggie fiber wad over the powder. In a 50cal you can also try the MMP sub base as a wad. You want the conical to be around .001-.002 over land size. DONT go over 80gr by volume of BH209 with big lead.

IMO if you have a good breach plug and the primer seals well you shouldn't have any problems except maybe in extreme cold.

I have shot the 460gr NoExcuse bullets with a vegetable fiber wad in front of 80-90gr by volume of BH209 with good accuracy at the range. The challenge for me was to make sure the BH209 was packed in pretty tight. The NE bullets loaded pretty easy (almost too easy) in my Knight Disc Extreme, hence the fiber wads. Again, at the range I had good results, but am a little concerned about carrying the load around in the woods with the possibility that the bullet might move a bit off the powder.

http://muzzleloading-bullets.com/index_ ... age319.htm
http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/i ... 463753.htm

Those SageBrush wads in .060 look great. They are quite a bit over actual bore size. The ones i use are .462 or .461 also in a 45cal. Their 50cal says its .518 which should be really tight.

So you all are thinking I may have ignition problems?

I've never had BH 209 fail to light off in my encore.

The bullets I use are a snug fit so the bullet coming off the powder charge shouldn't be a problem.

I just wasn't sure about the wad being able to withstand the hot gasses of 209. Always seemed to me that BH 209 and 777 for that matter burn a lot hotter than pyrodex or real black powder.

glockky,

What Rifle are you shooting that has the FTF and what does the primers look like (clean or very sooty)?

It's a encore endeavor 209x50

And I've never had any ignition problems.

My understanding is that BH209 will be the most efficient and consistent with a tightly packed load. I seem to recall that it was Busta that turned me on to the Sagebrush wads for that reason. GM54-120, the wads do load snug, a good thing. You can even double up on them but I did not find any benefit to that. They hold up to BH209 pressures just fine.

I use just 1 .060 wad at the range but when i hunt i double them up after rechecking zero with 2 wads. Its just added insurance and piece of mind but sofar i have not had a hang fire or fail to fire using 1 .060 thickness veggie wad.

Granted im using a 45cal and 350gr or larger conicals which will build pressure more quickly than a 50cal. IIRC Omega45 said he had a hang fire or FTF in his 45 but i thought he said it was with a wool wad....Not sure.

Overall, ive been thrilled the way 70-80gr of BH209 shoots conicals. 80gr though imo is pushing it close to the leading point. Its also starting to make some serious pressure in a 45cal with a 460gr or larger. Still safe but its getting up there if you compare it to the black powder cartridge load data. That load should be substantially lower in a 50cal if you compare it to something like 50/90.

I just wasn't sure about the wad being able to withstand the hot gasses of 209. Always seemed to me that BH 209 and 777 for that matter burn a lot hotter than pyrodex or real black powder.

Veggie wads and CircleFly Nitro cards will handle the temps of BH209 just fine. Lubed wool will also but they get a little singed. They protect the bare lead bullet better than using nothing. You should try them with Triple7 and PRB to protect the patch. PRB though in a 1-28 twist needs a reduced load to shoot worth a hoot.

Latest posts

Back