Removing QLA on TC encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockky

Reaction score
My TC encore has never given me the groups I feel it should. I have tried many different powder, sabot, and bullet combinations. It tends to throw random flyers for no given reason.

I have read that removing the QLA will greatly improve the accuracy of a TC. But I hate to spend the time and money on it if it's not going to help. Does it usually give an improvement in accuracy?

I'm trying to decide between sending the barrel off to have it cut and target crown. Or just getting a knight. I really want something to shoot conicals.

Removing the QLA made a large difference for me regarding accuracy of conical. Shooting conical got to be fun, because they were so accurate. It kinda also seemed to make bullets in sabot more accurate; perhaps my imagination. Cost will be a way way less than purchasing a new Knight rifle.

Well I just boxed it up to send to David White at D&T custom gun works.

Looking forward to reading your 'before' and 'after' reports. I have a TC Triumph that does as you describe, I am thinking of removing that so called 'accurizer'.

I will definitely report back. This week I'm gonna cast up a couple types of bullets to try in it.

ronlaughlin said:
Removing the QLA made a large difference for me regarding accuracy of conical. Shooting conical got to be fun, because they were so accurate. It kinda also seemed to make bullets in sabot more accurate; perhaps my imagination. Cost will be a way way less than purchasing a new Knight rifle.

X2 for me. 1 Omega 50 cal with QLA removed another rebarreled to 45 and certainly NO QLA on that one. W

David emailed me and my barrel is on its way back. Hopefully have a range report next week.

glockky said:
David emailed me and my barrel is on its way back. Hopefully have a range report next week.
Maybe I should have gone that route with my encore, but decided to sell it instead. Looking forward to how yours shoots conicals, etc...after the surgery. :yeah:

Got the barrel back today. I'm gonna try to shoot Wednesday.

oLEPo3S.jpg

Gonna try me new accurate mold. 51-450M

Ttr10wP.jpg

toytruck said:
Interesting crown, don't recall ever seeing one like it, but I like it! 8)
+1. That is an different way to do it.

Here's the groups shot today with the 51-450M. Definitely an improvement.

First group was with 51gr W BH 209 and a federal 209A. 100yds no cleaning between shots. The third shot (farthest to the left) was really hard to load.
MuVe6LA.jpg

Next was the same load combination after a scope adjustment. This time I was swabbing between shots.

2Lzf8kD.jpg

Good shooting , those deer are in trouble now.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

That is looking very good. :yeah:

Looks like the swabbing helped. Some rifles need it and some can be more forgiving. What lube did you use on those hunks of lead?
Those are gonna put a Thump on deer. :D

I used a mix of crisco, olive oil, and beeswax. I'm really not sure of the proportions because I ended up having to modify it several times to get the lube to stay in the grooves when pushing the bullets out of the lube cake.

Really need to find someone with a lathe to make me a cookie cutter to remove the bullets from the lube cake.

Are you using any thing between the powder and bullet?
If it were me I would get some lubed and non lubed wool felt wads and maybe some MMP sub bridge pieces to try between the powder and bullet.
A wad of some kind may reduce the fouling that you had trouble with on your first test load
Looks like it is shooting good.

Try a .510x.60 veggie wad also. They seal better than felt which might be a good idea when using BH209 with conicals.

Latest posts

Back