Sabot Fast Loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjeremy2

Reaction score
i recently acquired a cva optima v2, im a newbie to muzzle loading but i went to my local gun shop and they told me to try the hornady SST Speed Sabot, with the 777 pellets. they also said to try 2 pellets at first but looking at the sabot if i put 2 on the tail of the sabots the tail is longer than the 2 pellets and enough room for 3, so if i were to just use the 2 do i have to cut the tails off so the pellet sits on the breach,, thank you in advance i'm going to sight it in Saturday and was wondering before i got to the range thanks in advance.

Im aware of those sabots but i fail to see how it speeds up anything. That hole in the pellet is to help with flame propagation through the pellet. Blocking it seems counter productive.

Get powder tubes. Drop the bullet with sabot in first followed by your pellets. Now you have a speed loader and you wont be paying $1.50 per shot for your sabot/bullet.

GM54-120 said:
Im aware of those sabots but i fail to see how it speeds up anything. That hole in the pellet is to help with flame propagation through the pellet. Blocking it seems counter productive.

Get powder tubes. Drop the bullet with sabot in first followed by your pellets. Now you have a speed loader and you wont be paying $1.50 per shot for your sabot/bullet.

Thank you, so I should look for something like the powerbelt bullets without the tail correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those "Speed" sabots would need the tail cut off. Those are more or less a gimmic. I did not think they made them anymore.

Powerbelts are not used by many here. They are way too expensive for what you are getting and are made by CVA so they push them.

If you want to save some money and still get a good load for your CVA, Pick up a pack of Harvester Black Crush rib sabots and a box of Hornady 300gn 45cal .452diameter XTP pistol bullets. Put that on top of 2 of your 777 pellets and see how it shoots. My nephew uses that combination in his CVA Wolf and it loves it. It is also a great Deer load for him. Buying your bullets and sabots in bulk (those XTPs would come 50 to a box and sabots are also 50 to a pack) is much cheaper then those Pre-Packaged offerings.

Pellets also are not used much here for several reasons. You are limited in load choice since you can't work up and down in 5gn increments. The boxes are not sealed so they can draw moisture, so don't plan to carry them from year to year. If you do, try vacuum packing them after your are done for the year unless you plan to shoot them up.

ShawnT said:
Those "Speed" sabots would need the tail cut off. Those are more or less a gimmic. I did not think they made them anymore.

Powerbelts are not used by many here. They are way too expensive for what you are getting and are made by CVA so they push them.

If you want to save some money and still get a good load for your CVA, Pick up a pack of Harvester Black Crush rib sabots and a box of Hornady 300gn 45cal .452diameter XTP pistol bullets. Put that on top of 2 of your 777 pellets and see how it shoots. My nephew uses that combination in his CVA Wolf and it loves it. It is also a great Deer load for him. Buying your bullets and sabots in bulk (those XTPs would come 50 to a box and sabots are also 50 to a pack) is much cheaper then those Pre-Packaged offerings.

Pellets also are not used much here for several reasons. You are limited in load choice since you can't work up and down in 5gn increments. The boxes are not sealed so they can draw moisture, so don't plan to carry them from year to year. If you do, try vacuum packing them after your are done for the year unless you plan to shoot them up.

Thank you for you input. I went to a gun shop and basically said i don’t know what I’m doing point me in the right direction and that’s what I walked out with not know any better. That was my mistake lol. I’m going to get what you suggested and shoot those and see how it works out. A .45 cal will work in a .50 cal? Jc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened is typical of large stores and some gun shops. They sell what they have, and surprisingly some don't know much more than you do about ML's.

Correct. When you buy sabots it will tell you on the package what size they are. In your 50cal you can actually use 3 different size bullets depending on the sabot you buy. The most popular bullets used in the 50 caliber rifles are 44cal (44mag) .429-.430 diameter or 45cal (such as 45 long colt or 454 Casull) .451 - .452 diameter. The Green sabots are for 44cal bullet shot in a 50 caliber rifle, while Black sabots are for 45 cal bullets shot in the 50cal rifle. Then there are some in betweens like EZ Pedals and such with different colors. Harvester and MMP make the majority of sabots on the market. Harvester Crush ribs and some of the smooth can be found in lots of Big Box stores like Bass Pro or Cabela's, plus online a places like Midway USA and other reloading sites. You can also buy direct. Most MM sabots you would buy direct from them. MMP makes a lot of the sabots used in Pre-Packaged stuff. There are several sabots that fit the same bullet sizes, this is because the sabots are slightly different in thickness so you can get the best fit between the bullet/sabot and the Bore of your rifle. I think MMP makes like 3 different Black sabots that would work with .45 cal bullets so you can try different ones for a tighter or looser fit. Lots of us that play around with several rifles might have 2 to 4 or 5 different type on hand to try. I don't mean you have to, just info for you.

Check out this sticky at the top of the Inline Forum. it will show you more about diameters with bullets in them.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798

Harvester site,

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/

This is the Crushrib,
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/ ... cal-bullet

MMP Site,

http://mmpsabots.com/

My CVA Optima V2 thumbhole will shoot 3 shots touching at 100yds with 3 777 pellets and Hornady 250gr SST’s with the red Hornady sabots. It absolutely loves that load.

There is nothing speedy about loading a muzzleloader. "Speedloaders" are silly.

Just get a tube (Lanes' Tubes are great) and carry 6 or so if you like. But I've never gotten off more than 1 shot or needed to.

Back