2nd shot accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterk123

Reaction score
Hi all. Purchased my first muzzleloader, a cva optima. I have it sighted for fifty yards. First shot is right on. However, if I try for a second shot without cleaning out the barrel, my number two goes low about 4 inches and about an inch to the right every time. If I clean it, no problem. I am using a black ribbbed sabot and 250 XTP with 100 grain 777 (pellet). I will be switching to BH209 once my new breech plug shows up, because we tested it in my friend's gun. Everything I read about that stuff is true.

However, I still should be able to get decent results from my current arrangement, so I am turning to you for help. My cleaning routine is windex/alcohol mix damp patch to bust up the ring, then one or two dry patches to dry things up. I am going to run to Cabelas this morning to see if they have some smooth black sabots.... maybe it makes a difference.

One other thing to note. After about fifteen shots I tried some BH209 with 209 shotgun primers. I could not get it to ignite the powder. I even pulled the plug and wiped it down; still nothing. I just figured that the plug was either a bit damp in the hole or just really gunked up at that point.

Thanks in advance for your help. Pete

Congrats on the new Optima. It should be a good shooter for you.

Did you use the supplied breech plug with a flat face or did you buy a BlackHorn 209 breech plug?

Standard plug. I ordered the BH209 plug last week. Hopefully it will be here today.

I was at the range again today. Targets set up at 75 yards. Shot number one completely missed. SHot number two was only off center by a couple of inches. Interesting thing, the gun was getting less fouled between shots today. I also switched to just spitting on a patch for like four shots in a row, then using my "windex" patch after shot five. I was definitely getting things too wet the other day.

Now I am focusing one that first shot flyer. I need to go out again and see if I will have the same result. I have been reading a number of posts here about keeping the barrel fouled a bit, so that first shot is accurate. Just need to experiment. The gun is awful fun to shoot. I just need to figure out the proper process and bullet/sabot/powder arrangement. I did try Harvester non ribbed sabots. They consistently shot a bit lower than the ribbed version. I think ribbed is the winner for now. Pete

How are you cleaning your rifle? Before taking your first shot, push a clean patch all the way down, then pop a couple of Caps with that patch seated against the Breech end, Remove the Rod and pop 2-3 more Caps straight through the barrel. Then load and shoot

Big breakthrough today. Installed a BH209 breechplug and loaded 80 grains (by volume) of BH209 with my 250 grain xtp and crush ribbed sabot. Almost dead on at 50 yards, just a bit to the right. All four shots at fifty yards almost in the same hole; basically ended up with a large single hole :) (wish I knew how to upload a pic). The left of center shot a bit more noticeable at 100 yards, but only off by an inch. Third shot at 100 yards was lined up nice, albeit a hair low (but that was me). Sat on the ground and used my knees as a brace and shot at 75 yards. Touched the bullseye. No cleaning in between. First shot flew just like the fifth shot. I could not believe the difference! I probably need to adjust a couple clicks on the scope to really zero in at 100 yards. I will do it next time, but I am very happy with the results. What a ton of fun trying to figure it all out. Oh, and the bullet is so easy to load with the crushed rib, and the accuracy seems great. Pete

peterk123 said:
Big breakthrough today. Installed a BH209 breechplug and loaded 80 grains (by volume) of BH209 with my 250 grain xtp and crush ribbed sabot. Almost dead on at 50 yards, just a bit to the right. All four shots at fifty yards almost in the same hole; basically ended up with a large single hole :) (wish I knew how to upload a pic). The left of center shot a bit more noticeable at 100 yards, but only off by an inch. Third shot at 100 yards was lined up nice, albeit a hair low (but that was me). Sat on the ground and used my knees as a brace and shot at 75 yards. Touched the bullseye. No cleaning in between. First shot flew just like the fifth shot. I could not believe the difference! I probably need to adjust a couple clicks on the scope to really zero in at 100 yards. I will do it next time, but I am very happy with the results. What a ton of fun trying to figure it all out. Oh, and the bullet is so easy to load with the crushed rib, and the accuracy seems great. Pete

Gotta love that BH stuff. This is my first year using it and wish I’d started sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back