Modern Muzzleloaders for Me?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeeterwx

Reaction score
I know almost nothing about muzzleloaders. I do not own one but want to for fun and hunting (mainly deer). I know I want to work up my own loads with loose powder and whatever bullets that I'm not sure of yet. I think I want one that makes use of shotshell 209 primers. I know I want nothing to do with a flintlock. I'ld prefer a longer barrel (around 30") for better powder burning efficiency even though it is more to lug around. For caliber I'm more interested in heavy/slow over lightweight/highspeed.

Do you guys know of something that at least half way fits those parameters in something over 50 caliber? Actual gun cost must be under $1000.

Outside of any other parameters, what is the largest caliber muzzleloader currently available?

What action and ignition type works most reliably with the least amount of fuss in really wet weather?

A 30" barrel will gain virtually nothing over a 26"-28". About 100fps tops.

Nothing larger than 50cal in 209 inlines has been made in many years. Remington made the 700ML in 54cal years ago but they are hard to find.

If you are new to the game just look at a CVA Optima V2 50cal. They can be had for well under $300 and its a good rifle to cut your teeth on. A T/C Impact is also a good choice but they are not available in stainless. I always recommend SS for a first rifle because its more corrosion resistant.

BTW
Caliber has nothing to do with speed really. I can easily shoot a 488gr lead conical in my 45s at around 1300fps. I can also shoot a 275gr jacketed bullet around 2100fps or a 200gr over 2300fps. 50cal though has the benefit of easy to find components like sabots. Pretty much any store with ML supplies has stuff for 50cal.

Thanks for the reply! I like your thought to go with something corrosion resistant. After seeing your post I researched all the 209 inline muzzleloaders (obviously practically all 50 cal like you mentioned) I could find and narrowed it down to two. Both of which I'm seeing online for less than $499.

They are the CVA Accura V2 Long Range and Traditions Vortek Strikerfire LDR (Long Distance Rifle). Both have 30" barrels with a 1:28" twist rate and are fairly similar in weight with their own versions of breech plugs that can be removed without tools. Neither comes with open sights but are drilled and tapped for scope mounts which works for me.

The biggest differences I see are CVA using a stainless steel barrel with a nitride finish and a thumbhole stock while Traditions is using a chromoly barrel with a CeraKote finish and a NON thumbhole stock but with a storage compartment in the butt end. And where CVA uses an exposed hammer design, Traditions uses a concealed striker fired design.

Does anyone know if there are any easily overlooked reasons to choose one over the other? Does one break down easier for thorough cleaning? Without having any hands on experience with muzzleloaders yet I feel there may be something I could be easily overlooking in deciding between the two. Does one of the brands generally have a better fit and finish in their overall build quality? Is one or the other much better to deal with on warranty issues? Any knowledge/thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I wasn't really into anything I came across from T/C, Knight or Remington.

If I had to chose between the two you're highlighting I'd go with the Accura simply because I can see things that make it go boom. Parts unseen and hidden don't offer much for answers or trouble-shooting in the field....that and I just don't like Traditions stuff. That CVA is one tough gun and they shoot very accurately if you stay out of the pellet box and run thru a few different brands and weights bullets.

And then I'd listen to GM54 regarding the barrel length, especially if I was planning on toting the gun thru woods and briars. There are a lot of guns today with barrels between 24" and 27" that punch single hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards with decent optics. I think a 30" barrel is wasting three inches.

In all honesty though, I suggest you shop and buy based on what YOU think is right for you. Everybody sees things differently and everybody is expecting different things from their guns. I hunt but I also enjoy my bench time with my long guns and they're both very accurate at 100 yards, one barrel is 26" and one is 28",but to make my point my 15" barreled Optima pistol would shoot circles around some of the guns' patterns I've read about on this site at 50 yards.

Traditions have a alloy frame but no firing pin bushing. CVA is also a alloy frame but it also has a steel firing pin bushing. The primer rubs against this area and takes the "back force" when ignited. The Traditions have been known to wear in this area. The other advantages of the bushing are....its removable so you can clean the firing pin and you can also adjust head space with shims.

With a Traditions you are stuck using a oring in the primer pocket if it has excess blowby and that will just wear the frame even faster.

The upper tier CVAs also have a adjustable trigger and they are actually pretty nice right out of the box. The new Plains Rifle is only a 28" but its also under 7lbs. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/black-cv ... tride.html

Im really not sure why you think you need a 30" barrel. MANY rifles with shorter barrels have won or did extremely well in Friendship's inline matches the last couple years. I dont even remember seeing a 30" at all and some of these guys were shooting massive loads of Blackhorn209.

In general the CVAs ive handled and compared to Traditions looked and felt better. Traditions felt cheap and that hollowed buttstock felt really cheap. Ive seen numerous posts of really bad customer service from Traditions and just the opposite from CVA.

The best feeling import ive handled was by far the CVA Accura MR which is loosely based on the CVA Apex centerfire. Its light, handles well and felt good overall. Its now offered as the Plains Rifle too with a 3" longer barrel (28" vs 25")The next was the CVA Optima V2. Much cheaper but for the money i really liked it.

I REALLY liked the way this Optima TH stock felt vs any others ive handled. I had a Accura V1 TH and its not even in the same ball park as this stock. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cvatm-op ... bhole.html

Nitride will help protect the barrel inside and out. Its a very durable metal treatment and not just a coating. Traditions coating is only external but they do offer models in Nitride now also.

Yep agree with GM. I am not a fan of Traditions guns. Quality is important to me.

Latest posts

Back