Powder, T17 patches, or gremlins?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
So, I was hunting last fall, and silly me, I didn't verify my zero before going out. I'd used the same gun and the same load the season before, and last I knew, it grouped three 405 grain lead powerbelts in about an inch, zeroed at 100yds. (MK 85, 54 cal, 100 grains T7, by volume.) Except I couldn't find T7 in the store in Idaho, so I used my brother's Pyrodex Select. Well, how much difference would there be from one powder to the next, anyway? I'd been trying to set up a new ML, but hadn't found an acceptably accurate load for it yet, so I had to punt, and go back to the old MK 85. Which was sitting in the rack, back at the old "homestead" in Idaho, where I'd be hunting. The season was already begun when I got there, so I didn't take the time to confirm where it was shooting. After about ten days of hunting I finally got within about 80 yards of a good trophy muley, and dropped the hammer. And missed. I pursued, actually found him again, along with an even bigger buck, and at right about 100 yards, missed again. :huh?: And a third time. :wall: Set a new personal record for misses in ML season.

Going back to the range, I confirmed that I was shooting about a 10-25 inch pattern at 50 yards, off a bench. :shock: Eventually, I dropped the charge back to 95 grains, swabbed more thoroughly between shots, and like magic, the old Knight snapped back to about 1 MOA, now two inches low at 100 yards. The other thing I did different in 2017 than I did before was that I started using TC's T17 pre-soaked patches to swab between shots, followed by two clean, dry patches. (And I had done this before loading the first round as well, to make sure there wasn't and dust or rust in the barrel.) In seasons past, I had used one literal "spit-patch", then dry.

Scouring various posts, I see it mentioned that some propellants should not be used with petroleum based solvents. I'm not sure exactly what T17 is, but the can says it's suitable for "black powder, triple 7, or other black powder substitutes". Now, I'm not so sure. I never had a problem swabbing with saliva or water soaked patches, and I think it was sabotloader who mentioned swabbing with windex. It just seemed more convenient for hunting, to pull a blue T17 patch out of one old snuff can, and clean patches out of a different colored snuff can.

After reading more posts, I understand that T7 burns a little hotter than Pyrodex, but I still can't believe backing off only 5 grains would make that much difference. So, now I don't know what made the difference. Was it the 5 grains for the different powder, more thoroughly swabbing the T7 out with clean patches, or gremlins? Oh, I did wind up tagging a nice whitetail, so all was not lost. Just the wall-hanger muley.

Every ML - every cleaner - every bullet - every powder, are all individualistic properties of this sport. None are bound, or held accountable to strict guidelines. Once you engage in all the properties and squeeze the trigger of your first shot at the range (or in the hunting woods), there are no habitual or precise past practices to copy or compare to.

This ML gun sport is like no other in the shooting world. Compositions, measurements and our own brand of interchangeable accesssories-chemistry makes no (2) guns or range outings alike. So after reading your opening post, I suggest you start all over..... from square-1 and keep things plain & simple..... avoiding changing parts / ingredients.... at least until you develop a pattern of confidence on target paper.

The only thing that you need multiple are bullet brands and sizes.... also multiple sabot brands and sizes. That way your ML will determine what bullet and sabot works best for your gun. If you chose an odd-ball brand of synthetic powder, then perhaps bring (2) of those to the range also. But if it's any of the Big-3 synthetics (Pyrodex / 777 / Blackhorn), then one brand of powder should suffice.

Main thing..... start all over .... from scratch. Never change powders, bullets or MLs on a hunting-day-whim anymore. Swab as needed. Your gun will determine how often. Your T17 is fine. I use Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine poured into a small two ounce eyeglass spray container. 70% isoprophyl alcohol works good too at the range. I swab after every 2nd shot. I do that because a very quick 2nd shot may be needed in the woods and haven't the time to sit there and first wet-then dry swab bores...... no sireee!

Good luck and let us know how you make-out.

Back