New to the game and need some assistance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamal

Reaction score
Decided after a successful deer harvest last season to extend my hunting season and buy a muzzleloader. Research brought me to the CVA Wolf being a good starter, and I happened upon an auction that I won for $100. I didn't really research the gun thoroughly and the auction was ending, so I bought it. I figured the worst thing is that I am out $100. Anyway, here is what I bought. Hoping someone can enlighten me on the ins and outs of this rifle.

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jamal23/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20180129_092135_zpsi7ln6ql3.jpg.html]
20180129_092135_zpsi7ln6ql3.jpg
[/URL]

Congrats all the way around and welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

What's not to like here? lol $100.00 for a dandy little starter gun, scoped no less. Dandy deer. I'd say you're off and running in the right direction.

What powder do you shoot? Bullet/sabot combo? That gun will handle quite a few options nicely....all you have to do is shoot it enough to decide what shoots best for you.

That is the older Wolf since it has a breech plug that requires a tool to remove it. That does not mean it is not a good one. The newer rifles have the "Finger" removable plugs. Those little wolf rifles shoot very well. My Nephew has that same older model but in Blue barrel with black stock and it shoots very well. Take that breech plug out and inspect the bore. Clean it good and when you put the plug back just wrap it with Teflon tape and snug it back up. The next place to inspect is the Firing Pin and bushing for it in the standing breech. Make sure they are clean and the firing pin is free. If you don't have a manual you should be able to download one from CVA in the Support section that will show you how to take it apart.

My Nephew shoots a Hornaday .452 (45cal) XTP in a Harvester Crushrib sabot over 2 777 pellets with a Fed 209 primer, I can't get him to switch to loose powder. He has hammered some good deer with it and that load.

If it were me I would try the Win 209 primer, same XTP and Crushrib with 100gn of 777 2f powder. I myself an not sure if that older plug is Black Horn 209 compatible but someone else might know. If it is then I would go with 90 to 100 grains of it with the XTP.

ShawnT said:
..... I myself an not sure if that older plug is Black Horn 209 compatible but someone else might know. If it is then I would go with 90 to 100 grains of it with the XTP.
The older plug should be modified, with a vent liner installed if one wants it to be 100% reliable shooting Blackhorn. The simple modification results in a super good Blackhorn shooter.

Jamal said:
1. Is this the tool? And I need this to remove it and e=inspect before I do anything, correct?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CVA-AC1616-Hex ... 2035!US!-1

2. I wanted to go the pellet route - I can't do that with this one, huh? I really wanted to go the easiest route possible for my first one since I have no knowledge here.
Yes, but, you really only need a 1/4 drive socket (probably metric but I forgot what size it was) and ratchet to remove the BP. No real need for the special tool unless you want it. I myself would always take the rifle apart to give it a full inspection and scrub it out, especially a used rifle. Some forget to scrub and lubed them and unfortunately they will sell them with rusty and pitted bores. (Even stainless can be ruined by black powder if not properly cared for). So give it a good once over to be sure what you have before ever loading it.

Your current plug is good for Pellets or Loose powder like Black Powder, Pyrodex or 777. That same plug is in my Nephews rifle and he uses 2 Triple 7 (777) 50x50 pellets. Black Horn 209 powder is a very different powder for muzzleloaders. The plug you have could be modified with a "Ventliner" to make it work with Blackhorn as well as use the other powders. If you really only want to shoot pellets your good to go as is. Just give the plug a good look over on the powder side when you remove it. Make sure it is clean and not pitted.

ronlaughlin said:
......... you really only need a 1/4 drive socket (probably metric but I forgot what size it was) and ratchet to remove the BP. No real need for the special tool unless you want it..........
12mm
:yeah: Thanks Ron. Been too long since I showed my Nephew how to tear his down. :roll:

Cannot see your photos.
States: "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING"

What account? Certainly not Photobucket, for I am not a Bucket-member

it is photo bucket.
I've never had this problem before though. It showed up yesterday...

Jamal said:
it is photo bucket.
I've never had this problem before though. It showed up yesterday...
Photobucket no longer allows third party links. You may eventually get an email from Photobucket. They tell you that the only way they allow it now is if you upgrade to a $400.00 account. :evil: I got mad at them and deleted my pics and account and set one up on Imgur.

The Link that GM54-120 posted will allow people that install it to see the pictures anyway.

I use an Ipad with Safari, I cannot see the first pictures? But can the last. Good looking rifle!

Latest posts

Back