Stay away from Lee Hayes outfitters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Duster

Reaction score
His operation is out of Cowen, Manitoba. I went with him and killed a small size 120 lb blond black bear. He treated me like dirt afterwards once he seen it. According to one of his Indian guides he was saving it for another hunter due in the next week in hopes of a big tip due to color and it was not supposed to hit the bait I was watching. The rest of our party of 6 also paid the price with him staying drunk most of the time.

That's a good heads up. There are some good outfitters and then there are some horrible ones. He should have been glad that you got that bear. I never heard of promising an animal to a specific client. If that client wanted a chance at that bear he should have been out there.

I know this is a late post but many years ago a friend hunted Canada and they had a reporting system to the provincial government. I got the impression that if an outfitter gets too many bad reports they yank his outfitter's license. Maybe you should see if there is some recourse.

Hunted with him in the spring of 1991. He had me in stands that he said nobody had sat in yet. But when you find candy wrappers, multiple caliber shell casings and a carcass tag with that year’s date on it you know he’s lying. He was also pretty much drunk all the time back then too. Left the hunt after 3 days, wasn’t worth staying. Yes I did check references and everyone spoke highly of him and his operation. Though I have heard of a lot of complaints of him over the years. Been on 6 other bear hunts since then and shot 4 bears. When comparing them all I would rank Lee Hayes Outfitters at a 1 on a scale from 1-10.

Latest posts

Back