South African Safari

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdab27

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been a member of this forum for a few months and while I have not posted at all, I have learned a lot. I recently returned from a South African safari, and I brought along my TC Omega for some fun.

We were hunting with Matla Mamba safaris and I can't say enough about how extraordinary this outfitter is. The staff was amazing. The food could not have been any better. Every night we had a few of the animals we shot for dinner. The trackers and skinners did a phenomenal job on the capes for our trophies. We went along on this trip with our good friend and well known taxidermist. He let the skinners do the entire animals for his mounts they did such a good job.

The guides were first class and nothing bad can be said about them. My guide was Mandy Meyers, her husband and her run the outfit. She was top notch, and worked hard to get me close to all my animals.

Matla Mamba owns 24000 acres, and most of it is thick brush. Each morning we would leave on the truck to a certain area and walk from there. There was minimal if any shooting from the truck. I never shot off the truck, but my father shot a jackal from the back on the way home one night. A good pair of hiking boots is a must, as you do a lot of walking. It is not very strenuous walking, but a lot is done. I did more crawing than I thought I would do, and every animal I shot was from my knees.

The shooting is quick and fast. If you are into range finding and taking your time with shots, this wouldnt be the place to go. There was plenty of animals and all shots were under 150 yards. My longest shot was 100 yards at my kudu. I managed to take a kudu, gemsbock, and warthog with my Omega, and an impala and waterbuck with my rifle. My father shot a warthog and an eland with his bow, and a gemsbock, blue wildebeest and impala with his rifle. The trophy fees are comparable if not less than other concessions in the same area.

I can't say enough about this outfitter and would recommend them to anyone. If anyone would like further information, go to matlamamba.co.za, or feel free to contact me with any questions.

Excellent post...really well written. What loads were you using in the Omega? Do you have pictures? Thanks for sharing.

African hunt-powder

What I am very interested in is what powder was used. You probably can't take any with you (can you?)and I would bet there isn't an abundant supply of triple seven there, so what did you use???

Latest posts

Back