Mount back today.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Last November 14th around 4:00pm, the wife and the dog were out on the front porch and the wife was decorating for Christmas. Our Shih Tzu was running around and I decided I was going inside to make a call, with the dog following.

I no more than got into the house and when I looked out the slider, I seen a coyote in a fast trot coming right towards the front porch. I grabbed the 17HMR and opened the door. By that time the coyote had made it to the edge of the yard it was no further than about 25yds from the front porch and the wife. The 17HMR cracked and that little 20gr bullet took it directly in the chest, knocked it down and it made it 10yds and it was all over. Other than the shot startling the wife, she had no idea that the coyote was there.

That is a nice mount! How does the little Shih Tzu like it?

I was thinking the same as Shawn... :mrgreen:

I had a pheasant mount many years ago on the wall of the den and my yellow lab used to sneak around the house and just stare at that thing. She never bothered it, but would spend hours watching that stupid mount.

That is a real nice mount. That 17 shoots a 20 grain bullet is all? Wow... never monkey'd with that caliber. How does that caliber hold up long range on a windy day?

cayuga said:
I was thinking the same as Shawn... :mrgreen:

I had a pheasant mount many years ago on the wall of the den and my yellow lab used to sneak around the house and just stare at that thing. She never bothered it, but would spend hours watching that stupid mount.

That is a real nice mount. That 17 shoots a 20 grain bullet is all? Wow... never monkey'd with that caliber. How does that caliber hold up long range on a windy day?

Pepper checked it out pretty good, making sure it wasn't going to move :lol: However she's used to mounts of some kind or another. Every once in awhile, she may stop to check out the gray fox mount, normally when one of her toys is near it. She could care less about the otters. On a rare occasion when on the back of my chair, she may smell or look over one of the buck mounts. I think as far as she's concerned, its just something else furry that papa brought home :wink:

The 17HMR is a dandy little rifle and accurate, VERY accurate. I've shot groups the size of a pencil eraser with that thing at 75yds. I don't shoot it past that and in general, its only about 40-45yds, when vermin are trying to tear up the wife's bird feeders. It turns the insides of a porky into jello. Its a little ROCKET, with most posted speeds of 2,550fps. Its one of the Savage's with the accu-trigger and I put a 2.5-10x44 Aetec on it. I'm just shy of 400 coon, which it will turn inside out if you don't hit them in the head. I'd never hunt squirrel with it, as it would only be head shots and they'd have to be on my side of the tree.

It shoots the 17gr and 20gr bullets. I've read where so many people said a 17HMR wouldn't kill a coyote. A friend of mine who calls and runs them with hounds, said those people are crazy. He told me he couldn't count the number of coyotes he killed with .22 longs or just shorts. I know it buckled this one right up and down it went, it jumped up and dropped.

Back