White squirrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well mostly. Got this one on the 14th. He is at least 4 years old unless there is another one that is white with a red tail in that neck of the woods.

I never knew squirrels came in so many colors. You know, Red Squirrels, Fox Squirrels, Gray Squirrels. But I was at my fathers and he has the most beautiful jet black squirrels. They look in size to a Gray Squirrel and I am sure they are just an off color. But I never seen a white squirrel. And that is not an albino. So that is one more color I can add to my list.

Around my house are red pine squirrels. Them little devils are hardly fit to eat. I tried them once. And they were kind of strong tasting. But I see a bunch of them back around so I will shoot some and try smoking them in the smoker after soaking them in a maple syrup and brown sugar brine.

Kinda looked like a red squirrell that turned into an old man............Great post!

I think he is unique enough that I will have him setting on the mantle some day. He had a lot of hair lose on his rump.
Will to have him done so this is hidden.

Apparently there are several pockets around the country with white squirrel variants. I have seen several write ups about Brevard NC where they have an abundance of the species http://www.brevardnc.org/what-is-a-white-squirrel/
Here in NJ there are several pockets of heavy populations of piebald deer. they seem to stay mostly on army bases (Gives rise to several theory's...) McGuire AFB in NJ has a heavy population, and is open to public hunting (with permits, but easily obtainable) many get shot every year. Seneca NY has an army base where white and variants are common

My Dad has two albino squirrels that he shot when he was younger. Both have been mounted. It is something quite rare.

I see white fox squirrels (white body, red tail) once in a while. Had one here on my property about 5yrs ago, and have seen 3 or 4 others over the past 30yrs at our farm in WV. Pretty cool. We also see em black with red tail as well, a little more common than the white.

basically its a pie bald squirrel same as a deer not a true albino.

quote="BertoSparks"]A beautiful fur. That is an albino squirrel isn't it? The first i see in my life[/quote]

He was dandy lookin little Squirrel that’s for sure :yeah: he’s been dead awhile now, he was killed Sept. 14th of 2014

I've seen 3 of these in my life. All in different locations. One was at my house here probably 10yrs ago...saw it for about 3 seasons then it disappeared. The ones I've seen are unique version of fox squirrel. My brother in law shot one about 25yrs ago. I've also seen a couple coal black fox squirrels with a red tail, that is cool too. That one sorta looks like it could be a gray. Definitely a rare tree rat!

This is mine from Jan 1 of 2019. Along with a red fox I shot a few days later. He is a small grey that is full albino.

Attachments

• 82099242-111A-40B5-993A-B1469B5C65B5.jpeg
    82099242-111A-40B5-993A-B1469B5C65B5.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 24
  • E3692BE2-82E7-4F9A-BFBB-5DE8859890DA.jpeg
    E3692BE2-82E7-4F9A-BFBB-5DE8859890DA.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 24
Back