indiana squirrel opener(air rifle)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Up at 5:30 in the woods by 6:45 and back home at 9:15..probably seen 40 squirrels in that short period of time..pig hickory and shag barks were full of them..farthest shot was 27 yds but was across a ravine and at about a 50 deg. angle, Beeman R9 .22 ..as usual it was muggy as all get out for opening morning..

19uule.jpg

I can't wait. We can start on September 2nd. My daughter is more excited than I am. My oldest has no interest in deer hunting, but loves to after squirrel.

How do you fix yours? Most popular in my family seems to be a Brunswick stew.

This is something that i have always thought would be fun, I remember stories from my Grandparents about hunting Grey Squirrels back in North Carolina, Making Squirrel Gravy etc. 1 story that has always stuck with me is of my Great Great Grandfather, i guess he would go get a bag of Squirrels now and then with his Big Game Rifle (I can't remember what it was?) When he got home with the Squirrels my Grandpa told me that it was rare to see a mark on one?? He would Bark shoot them, I thought that was pretty darn neat! No doubt many of the old timers did this same thing back in them days

How do you prepare them? What would you compare them to taste wise?

Squirrel is my favorite wild game meat. Its all dark meat and has a taste of its own, kinda like chicken, maybe..
I prefer to pressure cook them in vinegar water then salt water till done, doesn't take long, maybe five minutes or so. I pull the legs, back, rib cage apart roll in flour and fry till golden brown. I like the gravy, but don't make it any longer for health reasons.

Tip: When cleaning a squirrel you want to remove the glands under the forearms for better tasting meat, just something my dad always did and taught us how.

toytruck said:
Squirrel is my favorite wild game meat. Its all dark meat and has a taste of its own, kinda like chicken, maybe..
I prefer to pressure cook them in vinegar water then salt water till done, doesn't take long, maybe five minutes or so. I pull the legs, back, rib cage apart roll in flour and fry till golden brown. I like the gravy, but don't make it any longer for health reasons.

Tip: When cleaning a squirrel you want to remove the glands under the forearms for better tasting meat, just something my dad always did and taught us how.

If i lived where there were Gray Squirrels i would get after them and try this! I've seen them over at Sandpoint running sidewalks and in peoples yards, I don't know how I'd explain that ticket to my wife if i got caught over there killing Squirrels, i better leave them ones alone. All i see around here are little red squirrels, and pine squirrels, Both are small.

I haven't been squirrel hunting in years, probably more than 25, but this post has inspired me. The season opens here on Friday and I'm going to try and get out this weekend with some of my daughters. Gotta get out Friday and check zeros on 3 10/22's and a 77/22.
Thanks for lighting the fire!

dbowling,

Have you had any problems with warbles? I got a couple last year and they were the first I ever saw.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
ShawnT said:
dbowling,

Have you had any problems with warbles? I got a couple last year and they were the first I ever saw.
Free protein right there, 'eh?
Not very appetizing though. :wink: :lol:

I haven't killed a squirrel with warbles probably in 10 yrs and in the last 40 yrs have killed maybe 10 squirrels with them... have actually killed more rabbits with them but its also been years since killed a rabbit that had them.

Latest posts

Back