Varmint hunting with a Quad?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Can you drive a Quad to your calling spot and still shoot Coyotes and Fox? It's that time a year and i'm looking for a little edge on getting around faster. :)

Remington 700 in 223 cal.

What do you guys think about a 223 on Coyote? I got a Remington 700 for my Birthday. Ya, i'm pretty excited. I lost a Coyote once with a 22hornet, i would think this would give a little bit more of a thump.

A .223 is more than adequate on a well hit coyote.

.223 is great for coyote. Around here most guys I know reload and use the Varmint Grenade rounds. Unless your fur hunting it's great! :twisted:

Depending on state regulations.. some states unless handicapped, allow no shooting for any reason, be it hunting, target shooting, anything.. of or from a motorized vehicle. Whether that vehicle is moving or not. So check your State Regulations for that one.

As for the .223 that is a great varmint rifle. I have a friend that used to shoot a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 and he would coyote hunt with that. Also deer hunt. But he said it worked really good. I always used a 7mm mag. But you better not want the fur then.

Sounds like a great birthday present. It is hard to beat a Remington 700 for accuracy. I have been tempted to get a tactical rifle in .223 just for the fun of shooting it. But you could varmint hunt with that as well.

If you drive a quad out. . . you will be exceptionally lucky to see a coyote.

Those dogs are extremely smart. And I can almost guarantee you, the odds are, that you will not see any Coyote's if you drive out in a quad.

I usually hike out exceptionally early in the morning.

223 is an excellent gun for coyote's

Well it depends on the amount of contact with humans they get. Were I am My 82 year old neighbor and I frequently drive to within a couple hundred yards of our hide. We a camo net over the quads or Jeep. We also spotlight them from the road.

Let me also say that it is private road and we are a good hour out of town on my ranch.

I have shot coyotes, bear, bobcat, and mt. lion in my yard. The mt. lion was mixed up with one of my dogs at the time of its demise. :twisted: The only time I have shot a bobcat it was in my chickens or I wouldn't have shot it but rather scared it off. They are hell on squirrels. The bear coyotes and mt lions are a big problem during the spring when the cows and ewes are birthing. When the paycheck come once a year it suck to have something eating away at it, literally. :evil:

Latest posts

Back