Fox

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aintright

Reaction score
A friend of mine has some chickens and wants these two fox I have been getting on my game camera gone . So I had this electronic predator caller laying around for about ten years that I have never used except to play with the dogs . So I grabbed the ole over under and caller this morning and thought I'd give it a spin . I have , in the past killed several fox while hunting buy chance , but never actually went out to just get a fox . So I got cammyed up and got there a little before light , started using rodent call and after about 15-20 minutes I spotted him about twenty yds away coming up the ridge toward me . As soon as I moved the shotgun he spotted me and that was the end of that . I tried to call him back in , but no deal . So I moved and changed to fox pup in distress and here comes the second fox , again not quick enough on the gun . This was really fun and exciting , I think I just found myself another past time . In the future I am going to be shouldered when calling and see if he's quick enough for that , LOL . Kenneth

I was turkey hunting once. Sitting there with my Lynch box call and just watching the field over the decoys. And out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement. It was a coyote. And he was putting the sneak on my decoys. But I was watching that dog and I swear... he recognized they were decoy and or scented me, and fled.

Canine predators are really careful and smart. They are always looking for something that does not make sense. I too would have the gun at ready when you call.

I know a turkey hunter that basically sits with that gun on a shooting stick, and leaning against his shoulder. So all he has to do is lean forward on the stock and fire it. He swears that the movement of the gun has spooked more careful game animals then all the other things in the world. Whether he is right, who knows. But he kills turkey every year.

cayuga

"I know a turkey hunter that basically sits with that gun on a shooting stick, and leaning against his shoulder. So all he has to do is lean forward on the stock and fire it. He swears that the movement of the gun has spooked more careful game animals then all the other things in the world. Whether he is right, who knows. But he kills turkey every year."

I'd have to agree after this morning . In the past I have shot them when they where occupied by something else , but apparently when your making the sounds that arouse them , you find yourself hunting a very wary critter . Kenneth

Is it possible for you to start the electronic call from a different place than the call is? The fox, or coyotes, focus on where the sound is coming from and any movement they lock in on. If you could remote start the call or turn it on and move away to an ambush location you might have a better chance at a successful shot.

I could just turn it on and move to cover , but I was wondering if a continous call would spook them ? It's a hand operated caller with no remote capabilities that I'm aware of . Kenneth

Consider a decoy of sorts...Some guys use a feather tied to a branch or bush so that it blows/flutters in the wind...some guys use store bought decoys with movement... I have a dog toy (a Lion) that has lots of fake hair to blow in the wind it is about 6 inches tall and i mounted it to a screen door return spring, and then the other end oc the spring is tied to a 10inch piece of rebar...cost me $4...I stick it in the ground, and the lightest breeze makes it sway side to side....then I sit about 10 feet away and call...O also have my gun on sticks and am ready to lean in and pull the trigger...

By the way I have had an eagle and a hawk try to snag my little lion...just sayin' 8)

Welcome to the highly addictive sport of predator hunting! Sounds like you're hooked.

When they come into the call...it is an instant hook. They are hard to fool and they learn quick. Good luck...let us know how it turned out with the foxes

Yep him been bit!
I use a call I built from an old mp3 player a Radio Shack mini amp and a CB/PA horn. I then connect it with a fifteen foot cord. I keep the mp3 player in an arm band that joggers use. It's on my forearm easily reached and I rest the rifle on the seat of the quad. with the rifle shouldered and controlled with the other hand. Left hand works mp3 player on the right forearm and the rifle controlled by the right hand. I usually sit on a bucket on the other side of the quad from the critter. I throw a piece of cammo netting over me and the quad and it isn't as hot as a gillie suit or cammies.
Just how I do it.

Latest posts

Back