Smokepole for 'yotes.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Reaction score
Looking to set up my CVA Stag Horn Mag for coyotes. Am thinking a .44 sabot in my .50 would be a good start with a bit reduced full load to reach out to 150-200 yds. Also thinking of about a 200-250 gr SWC would be as close to fur friendly as I can get and still keep decent performance at that range.

Am asking for any and all input to see if I'm on the right track.

Thanks y'all.

Lee

I am sure the rifle can do it with good optics. I never shot that far, so a lot of load development and practice is in your future. As for the projectile... something light weight might work well. Like the .40 caliber 200 grain Shockwaves.

Don't underestimate the tenacity of the coyote. I recall many years ago where I shot a big male while on my deer stand. It was during our late muzzleloader season near Christmas. We had a wintry mix of snow then rain so the woods were like Corn Flakes when you walked. I walked to my favorite treestand in the dark and set up. At the time I was using my TC Black Diamond with a 2.5 Burris scope. I believe I used three H777 pellets and a 295 grain Power Belt bullet.

It was a great hunt. Dad was in his stand across the road while I was I my stone wall corner stand. I could hear something walking around due to the crusty conditions. Sure enough a fluffy red fox was hunting along the stone wall. It was prancing about as I watched like a big fat owl in my perch. Soon the red fox trotted towards me then saw my menacing image in the long leaf pine that was home to my hang on stand.

The little beady eyes of the red fox focused on me and soon he turned right around and then took off to the south. From the north I could hear something. It was much louder than the fox so I raised my rifle and peered through the scope at the break in the stone wall. The sound got louder and louder. I anticipated a deer but much to my surprise, a large coyote appeared in the opening in the fog.

I moved the safety off and touched off a round. The round hit somewhat towards the rear of the animal but the reaction surprised me. The animal was knocked down but got back up and slowly circled to my right. I put in another round which did the trick.

I was amazed at how this creature reacted to such a load. Nope. Don't go under gunned for a big coyote. They can take a lot of punishment.

Coyotes are tough but you should have plenty of fire power to do the job. Sounds like a great challenge! If you connect, be prepared to do a little sewing. - I just noticed how old this post is. How did things work out?

Back