off topic squirrel hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Killed these 5 squirrels this morning with my RWS 48 .22 air rifle, 1st hunt of the year, in woods by 7 am back home by 9 am...thought about taking my 32 cal. Deerhunter muzzy but need to get a jag for it to clean it right..dont hunt with anything anymore except a muzzleloader or ai rifle, sold all my rimfires a few yrs ago.
Mods if you need to move or delete feel free to do so..

Attachments

• IMG_1713.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 853
Nice shooting! :applause: Looks like head shots, how far can u accurately shoot your rifle?

I need to take the kids out for some squirrel hunting, we get so wrapped up in deer hunting that I forget about other hunting and how much fun it can be and the dining treats that can be had.

Very good shooting!! 8) I have a RWS in .177cal. been thinking on trying it out on squirrels too. VA season will come in Sept 6, but its way too warm for me just yet. By the way have you noticed that fox squirrels don't seem to get the warble infestation like gray squirrels do this time of year? Maybe they are just tougher, no idea, but I've noticed this over the years.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Nice shooting! :applause: Looks like head shots, how far can u accurately shoot your rifle?

I need to take the kids out for some squirrel hunting, we get so wrapped up in deer hunting that I forget about other hunting and how much fun it can be and the dining treats that can be had.

Shooting off my deck with a rest I shoot a 1.5 in. dog bell hanging in front of a backstop at 62 yds and on a good day I can hit it 8-10 times resting my elbow on the rail... shooting at squirrels off hand 35 yds is about max for headshots, have killed them close to 60 yds with a rest and using 2nd mil-dot on scope but thats very rare.. Deer season opens Oct 1st for bow thats when I quit squirrel hunting. :D

Nice shooting. Is the .177 enough for fox squirrels? Do not know, just asking.

yes Ive killed alot of squirrels with a .177(750-900 FPS 7.9 GR.-8.4 GR. PELLET), 99 percent head shots, have shot a few through the chest(heart/lung) area and they still die pretty quick but have had a couple make it to a hole or hang themselves up in a fork of the tree....a .22 cal with chest shots pretty much drops them but I still shoot 99 percent in the head just because thats the way I was taught to shoot them with a rimfire.

toytruck said:
Very good shooting!! 8) I have a RWS in .177cal. been thinking on trying it out on squirrels too. VA season will come in Sept 6, but its way too warm for me just yet. By the way have you noticed that fox squirrels don't seem to get the warble infestation like gray squirrels do this time of year? Maybe they are just tougher, no idea, but I've noticed this over the years.

Ive killed a few over the years with warbles but you are right Greys have alot higher number of them, in fact one I killed todat had a small one on its chest..

jims said:
Nice shooting. Is the .177 enough for fox squirrels? Do not know, just asking.
I've never tried it, but I would think so...I have killed lots of starlings an black birds at the bird feeder with the .177 (1000 fps) RWS Diana an it will blow out their innards with a flat head pellet. :yeah:
Sounds kinda cruel on my part to bait them in, but the wife is tryin to feed the cardinals, blue birds an song birds in general, oh an doves too. :roll:

Latest posts

Back