Tree Rat Rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
What is your favorite Tree Rat Rifle?Top of my list is my Kimber,topped of with a Zeiss(what else!).3x9x40.This dude will flat shoot! Next is my Marlin bull barrel,This gun has to be one of the best values out there for a Rat sniper! I bought this gun used from a dealer just to try it out.I was not disappointed!

I'm wanting to get a 32 barrel for my Hawken for small game hunting. Maybe get a peep for it or have a gunsmith drill and tap it for a scope base. Not really sure.

Patrick White said:
I'm wanting to get a 32 barrel for my Hawken for small game hunting. Maybe get a peep for it or have a gunsmith drill and tap it for a scope base. Not really sure.
Pat, Iam checking into something along your line of thinking for a shooting challenge.I love my .22s,but challenge is good!

Tar-12 said:
Patrick White said:
Pat, Iam checking into something along your line of thinking for a shooting challenge.I love my .22s,but challenge is good!

I used a .410 for years. I got tired of hunting with because it was no challenge. 3" no 4's and I've killed squirrels at 40 - 50 yds. Tumbled em right out of the trees. No challenge at all till they got used to me and ran away at the sight of me. I've gotten out of squirrel hunting since. Rabbit hunting is still a challenge. a 20 yd shot is long where I hunt. If you see em before they see you your lucky. Maybe with a .32 It'll make squirrell hunting fun again.

I use a 17 hmr Savage shoots flat and a long ways next is a 22 mag.
Redclub

Redclub said:
Redclub
Head shots? 8) I have entertained that thought my self!

I have a little Pedersoli 36 cal flintlock I often use on squirrels. My modern rifle is a Ruger 77 22. I use Remington Sub Sonic ammo. It is quiet, very little disturbance in the squirrel woods. I sight the Sub Sonics dead on at 40 yards and can head shoot squirrels from very close out to 50 yards.

I have a Ruger 10-22T with an extended mag release and a Bushnell 4-12X40 that will shoot 1/4" @ 50 yards IF I do my part so I can't bring myself to do any more mods to it

I also have another Ruger 10-22 that I use it has 18" Butler Creek CF bull barrel, Core Lite stock, Bushnell 4-12X40, extended mag release, gunsmith did a trigger job (not sure what components he used, but it's in the 2# range) I am still lucky when I get unde 1/2" @ 50 yards with this one, but it weighs enough less that I use it the most

HighTechRedneck said:
I have a Ruger 10-22T with an extended mag release and a Bushnell 4-12X40 that will shoot 1/4" @ 50 yards IF I do my part so I can't bring myself to do any more mods to it

I also have another Ruger 10-22 that I use it has 18" Butler Creek CF bull barrel, Core Lite stock, Bushnell 4-12X40, extended mag release, gunsmith did a trigger job (not sure what components he used, but it's in the 2# range) I am still lucky when I get unde 1/2" @ 50 yards with this one, but it weighs enough less that I use it the most
I always wondered about those Butler creek Bull Barrels,what do you feed it?

It does not seem to make much difference what I feed it. The groups do shrink slightly with match ammo, but not much at all. They might vary 1/8" @ 50 but thats it, and I think that is more me than the ammo. The other 10-22 shoots bulk Remington HP's the best of anything that I have tried, so thats what I have started sticking to in both of them.

For years my favorite was my Kimber of Oregon Mod 82.

boatandwood%20022.jpg

I've killed a PILE of squirrels with this Kimber! But NOW...I mostly hunt with an air rifle! :D

R-9%20.22TKandsquirrels%20004.jpg

screwcupsandsquirrels%20017.jpg

Harder hunting...but a LOT of FUN!

Chuck,What are you doing hunting those Squirrels in the park???? :lol:I have used a air rifle, it is a serious challenge!Fun!

I had a Ruger 10-22T ( heavy barrel target model) with a Redfield 10x target scope with an AO. It was a real shooter,made a believer out of my kid one day with a 75 yd headshot.He owns the rifle now. I recently set up a CZ in 17HM2 and it was also a fine shooter, I believe it would probably out do the Ruger with a little trigger work. Rman

Rifleman said:
I had a Ruger 10-22T ( heavy barrel target model) with a Redfield 10x target scope with an AO. It was a real shooter,made a believer out of my kid one day with a 75 yd headshot.He owns the rifle now. I recently set up a CZ in 17HM2 and it was also a fine shooter, I believe it would probably out do the Ruger with a little trigger work. Rman
I want to check that one ! I have a CZ Scout .22 set up for my son.Can not seem to keep my hands off of it! You would not think that little ole barrel was capable of such accuracy! I am really impressed with it!There is a adult model of some configuration in Dads future!

Redclub said:
Redclub

I picked up the same gun this past fall but did not shoot it yet...

I was looking at a 10-22 once. The guy in the gun shop wasn't trying to discourage me but said that although the 10-22 in a great shooter, it wouldn't match my Anschutz, so I didn't buy it. I can get almost 1 hole groups at 30 yds with the Anschutz.

The 17 Hmr is a great squirrel rifle it shoots very flat and kills them dead like right now. I usually do chest shots as the ribs are mostly bones anyway. A 22 drops very fast (IMO) I like to keep my 22's for rabbit hunting and sighted in for 25 yards (open sights). and only shoot at running rabbits. Don't hit too many anymore .Bad eyes
Ken

"Kimber of Oregon"

Chuck, you are a baaaaaad man! That gun is a keeper son!

I never realized until recently that Kimber and Warne were basically the same company.. In my lust for the perfect 1911 I read it in a magazine somewhere..

Anyhow I have 2 guns that qualify... My favorite would be my 10/22 that I customized with a t-hole stock and green mountain barrel... It hunts well with Federal 36gr fodder from wally world.. but eats paper even better with Wolf MT's This may be the gun I enjoy most.. It goes to nearly every range session esp when cooling time is needed.

My 2nd would be my T/C G2 in .17HMR a great shooter with Federal 17gr stuff...

I am itching for a 2nd 10/22 in .17HM2 ... I thing that will be the perfect tree-rat round!

Big 6X6,
That last photo looks like a high fence squirrel! How sporting is that? I guess you were using an air gun, though. :D

As for squirrels, last time I went out I used my Marlin .22 autoloader. Not the fanciest of weapons by far, but was adequate. Microgroove rifling, was that a marketing ploy or what? :lol:

Back