Duck Load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpuser

Reaction score
I'm considering this option:
100 grain 777
TPS 12ga 3-1/2 wad preslit (do I want preslit?)
ITX Original-10 Shot #4 (amount to fill the cup)
12ga Waxed Nitro Card

Anyone have thoughts or comments for someone new to BP Shotgunning?

That is one powerful load from a black powder shotgun. What shot gun are you going to be using? It it is a Tk2000 Knight, I hope your shoulder likes recoil. I use 80 grain of 777 and about the same set up on turkey and consider that a 40 yard shotgun. Let us know the results of your testing/hunting.

I'll start with less powder at first then... I aim to test it out next week and shoot ducks the week after. Maybe I can bag a Christmas Goose while I'm at it. This is for a tk2000. Everything else sound good apart from being a hot load?

I even dropped to 60 grains of 777 2f when I grouse hunted with my TK2000. When I first got my Tk2000 a person told me 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the long two split wads for turkey. I tell you want it was just painful shooting it numerous times to sight in. But the distances of the shot was amazing. BUT I call turkey in close, so I lowered the powder and it was not a problem.

Ducks would be a hard thing to judge. I never hunted ducks or geese with my black powder shotguns. Always used a double 12 with 3" magnum. Let me know what load you use on ducks. I see them occassionally on the creek in my property. It would be fun to hunt them but without my old Labrador I would have to wade out there to get them. :nono:

Back