I was after deer but....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
It was Wednesday and I am still on the school vacation week. I arose before ole Sol appeared in the eastern sky and decided to bowhunt my own land near the border of a refuge. I have a nice pop up blind and so sat for some time. To make a long story short nothing but some birds and squirrels.

As a rule I do not put a huge amount of stock in the Solunar Tables. I know some follow them but I recall one day that a phone app stated STAY HOME was the day I almost arrowed a nice 4 pt buck. Needless to say I kind of ignore that stuff to a point.

Well according to the app the prime time will be between 1030 and 130 or so. I figured, why not just sit in my deer stand with the muzzleloader and see what happens.

I grabbed my compact TC Contender and headed north to a piece of land I can hunt. I drove down to the end of the dirt road, suited up and walked into the woods to my stand. It was odd going in at such a late hour but it was kind of nice. I climbed the split red oak where I had seen a nice fork horn coming to my call but just a tad much out of bow range. I know in the past Dad and I hunted this area in late December with the muzzleloaders since the oaks drew in some deer.

I sat and did play around with my call from time to time.

It was at 1250 PM when I looked to the north. WOW. A big brown fluffy coyote.

I raised my TC and put the Tasco dot on the ribs. I cocked the hammer and let a 275 grain Powerbelt 45 caliber bullet with 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 pushing it down range to the kill zone.

The gun went off with a metallic ping and the coyote more or less died in its tracks. BOOM--------------------FLOP

I went over and checked it out . I was elated that I took out this nice female. One less breeder in the area.

I put a rope on it and dragged it to the road. Got in my ole Ranger and soon off we were headed home.

I skinned her out and was amazed and concerned about the damage done. That bullet is like a small grenade.

Needless to say, I am elated.

I hunted today but had a late start. Battery died in the ole Ranger so it was another mid day hunt before the snow turned to rain.

That's a good looking coyote. Nice hide. 30 pounds? Looks heavy for a female.

Nice! those things are getting to be thick around me. and the deer herd has been showing it. I think after the season, I'm going to learn how to hunt predators. That Stocked contender shorty is cool :yeah:

I was chatting with a group of friends who hunt the local area. All of them are complaining about how much the deer density has dropped off. One other issue is that some who were successful seem to have had deer pushed by coyotes.

Tomorrow after work I plan to sit in the same stand but I will have a FoxPro Spitfire set up about fifty yards out with a Mojo decoy and some scent. I will see what happens.

Back