17 HMR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
GOING TO PURCHASE A 17HMR FOR PLINKING, SMALL VARMINT HUNTING ETC. ANY ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCE ON BRAND, MODELS, SCOPES ETC. WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

For performance and pricing you can't beat a Savage or a Marlin . Both in bolt action. The Rugers are good , but are way out of my price range , and I am a Ruger fan. I bought the Savage with stainless barrel and black synthetic stock , with the standard diameter barrel. I have a Weaver 3>9 x with adjustable parallax . It's one of Weaver's 22 scopes. This rig will shoot the balls off a gnat at 100yds.

I bought a marlin a few months back and liked it so much got another in ss . In the last month i have taken 4 coyotes, 4 shots 4 coyotes , 2 heart shot and two neck . 3 dropped , 1 did the tail tail spin ran 20 feet and dropped .""ALL UNDER 70 YARDS "" Great guns and if your going to use it for coyotes keep your shots close , too small of a bullet for long range . , You can replace the trigger spring on the marlin in about 5 minutes with a ink pen spring ( see here http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=33044 reduced mine down to a hair under 3#. Very fun to shoot . I shoot the Hornady XTP 20 grain HP . The 17 grain shoot a little tighter groups but i wanted a heavier bullet . Tons of info here
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ and http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Coyotedown.jpg

savage or marlin , you can't go wrong they are both good shooter .

I bought one last spring. Got a Savage, stainless with thumbhole laminate stock. Yup, it can shoot.

what scopes are ypu guys using ??

I have a Simmons blazer 3-9x50 on both of mine right now but ordered a Barska 3-12X50 . I know they are not big $$$$ scopes but i just don't have the money for really nice scopes . So far i have had good luck with cheap ones . The Barska has really good reviews on Cabela's so i thought i would give it a try . I have a hard time spending a ton on a scope and every time i do have the money i get another gun instead . :roll:

This is what i will putting on my marlin .17hmr when it comes this Thursday . I think the 12x will come in handy when shooting paper .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

RAF said:
I bought one last spring. Got a Savage, stainless with thumbhole laminate stock. Yup, it can shoot.

the Savage in stainless with thumbhole laminate stock really look good . I shoot left handed and could not find one in Savage or Marlin so i got the marlin non-thumbhole . I can shoot a right hand gun left handed without a problem as long as long as the stock works . Never owned a lefty . As a boy right handed guns where the only thing my dad and brother had , so it was all i shot . :shock:

Left handed shooters who have shot right handed guns since an early age probably would have a tough time if they suddenly had a left handed rifle. They keep reach for the wrong side to cycle the action.

i got the standard savage blued/wood .17 hmr bolt gun w/ the heavy barrel. paid $250, if i recall correctly. i put off getting a .17 for several years because i thought the ammo was too expensive ..... well, i bought one anyway and i love it. i buy all of my ammo from midsouthshootersupply for about $10 per 50. the rifle is a tackdriver, its a lot of fun to shoot.

keep in mind, though, that you ARE getting a $250 gun for the price you pay. yes it has an excellent barrel and yes the accu-trigger gives a very decent trigger pull ... but its a cheap gun. the magazine is made of stamped metal and doesn't really "click" into place (takes some getting used to). likewise, the stock has a very fat uncontoured pistol grip, and its pretty easy to damage the wood if you take the gun apart and then put it back together and tighten down the screw anchored to the main action lug. the bolt doesnt have locking lugs (like my ruger 77/22) ... the bolt itself is the locking mechanism.

ALL that being said ... i still love the rifle. very handy, good trigger, and great accuracy. and the .17 hmr blows small critters to pieces :D

oh yeah, one other thing ... i shoot from the left side, and i got the savage in right-handed configuration anyway. thats the way i shoot all of my bolt guns. i dont know what i would do w/ a left-handed bolt!

RAF said:
Left handed shooters who have shot right handed guns since an early age probably would have a tough time if they suddenly had a left handed rifle. They keep reach for the wrong side to cycle the action.

You right , i tried a left handed gun and did not like it . felt goofy !!! :roll: :roll:
I don't even worry about it anymore and if i see a right handed gun i buy it .

I based my opinion on the fact that I'm right handed but because of an elbow injury when I was a kid I had to train myself to shoot a bow left handed. After a couple of years I wouldn't even consider a right handed bow even if I could draw it now. It just seems natural to shoot left handed.

I have a Savage heavy barrel blue and wood. got it before they put the Acu-trigger in them. I have a Timney adjustable in mine set at about 2#. I put a Harris bi=pod on it with a chepo BSA Sweet 17 4-16x40. The scope is not so good but the rest of it is awesome. I shoot ground squirrels out to 250yrds in our hay fields. It is devastating!

Latest posts

Back