Need help with first food plot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I finally cleared out a good sized chunk of land out back by the shooting range and i would have to get a decent food plot in.

What would be good to plant this spring? I THINK the PH level is 6.8 but i would have to double check that to be certain.

Soil is sandy, No rich dark soil in these parts. Fast draining and when it dries from rain, gets hard.

Oats will grow, i found that out by accident one year but now, i would like something that grows and stays for a few years.

Alfalfa was my first choice. I have a few fields *small* and would like to mix it up and see what field draws *if any* in the most deer.

What do you think would be good to start out with and try?

I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've been planting food plots tailored for deer for many years. Here's the best advice i can give you:

Buy Ed's book!

www.deerattraction.com

Ed is a board member of QDMA, is retired so his motivation is to educate hunters on food plotting.

You should also visit http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... y.php?f=84 it's the best habitat forum on the net. You can spend the rest of the winter reading past and present food plot threads.

Latest posts

Back