tomatos grow to tall

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Reaction score
Switched from a plot garden in 2004 when the last of the kids moved away. started growing thing I liked in containers but in 2014 I went to a raised bed for tomatoes and a couple pepper plants.

I never figured it would do so well I had tomato plants 7 feet tall and just loaded with fruit. Friends and family were shre happy to share the bounty.

I built two new beds in 2015 and had the same results with tomato plants growing to 7 feet tall. I didn't gather as much fruit but enough I did share with friend and family but not as much as in the past.
Deer which have not been a problem in th egarden for 30 years strolled in to the garden area in broad day lite and ate the tops out of every tomato set but not enough it killed them just set them back about a month I figure. they also ate off the tops of my egg plants.

I ended up building aelectric fence around the garden to stop them in their tracks.

I also founds that covering them when frost was in the forecast was a pain to do since they were so tall and my efforts to stake them pretty much failed.
So this winter one of the projects isto learn how to propwerly prune them, :applause: Not the dang deer way either.
Another project is to make a watering system with 1/2" PCV pipeing. I used a water bottle system this year but I had to move the water bottles.

5' chain link fence I tried to use to keep the deer away.

Even my two summer squash plants went nuts.

The dirt to fill the raised beds came from my woods too no fertlizer added.
All these pictures are from 2015 garden.

:D Al

I also use raised beds to grow veggies. I like the idea of not having to tramp thru the dirt to pull weeds and pick fruit.
I cover my beds with black plastic which is good for about 3 years and cut slits to put sets I start in. I have soaker hoses laid under the plastic so the plants get good watering's and no weed to suck it up.
PM me and I will discuss how to prune your tomatoes so they don't get so tall and still have plenty of fruit.

Very nice plants there. I hope you liked canning.

I do gardens a little different. I have raised beds as well. But another system I use is really easy and produces huge amounts of tomatoes. I planted the smaller, faster growing tomatoes for salads this year. The tomato bushes were only suppose to be around two feet. Well where I placed them against the sunny side of the house, and the way I potted them ...

10408756_10203240512854075_5212761689523335691_n_zpsk5xz6se4.jpg

I would get buckets full of tomatoes almost every day towards the end of the growing season. Needless to say, I canned a lot of tomato juice.

For my raised beds, I went out and cut 12 cedar trees. Then I barked the insides of them. And log cabin style put them together. Then I lined the inside with gardening cloth and then filled them with black dirt, cow manure, rabbit manure, and goat manure. I kept tilling that all together and full the logs all the way to the top. (it was a dump truck load of black dirt). Then I plant potatoes or tomatoes in them.

Another thing you might want to google is a PVC Hoop House. It will really extend your season.

I gave tomatoes away along with squash, egg plant and a few peppers.
I caned a lot of home made salsa and froze a bunch of quartered tomatoes and also juices.

These are a Burpee hybred of 55 days, about the size of a base ball and really a great tomato.

I also do a Heinz named on but it is a 80 day tomato but produces good and freezes well as quarters, sauces and salsas.

Twister PM sent.

:D Al

You guys are killing me. My gardening skills suck I guess.

I have a good sized plot garden, soil is not great by any means... I do till in lime each spring, and it seems to get a little better each year. But I just cannot get a good garden to save my a$$.
This year I planted 24 tomato plants (six diff types), squash, cukes, snap peas, green beans. My tomatoes sucked as a whole, snap peas and green beans did pretty good (kinda hard to mess them up)... cukes did decent, squash died - never got any. I did not plant any peppers, nobody had them when I put my garden in, and I never got around to getting any. They probably would have done bad too. :(

I'm literally at the point of it will be easier to buy veggies. LOL :wall:

Help me out guys, I'm all ears.

All those leaves you haul off to the county land fill or burn should be tilled in to the garden soil. It is want my raised bed soil is leaves that have naturally decomposed to dirt.

Aug%2001%202003_2892_zpsqy0hoxbl.jpg

Get a soil test kit and test the soil to see what it needs, Most need more than Lime . Plant a fall cover crop like winter Rye and turn it under in the spring when it is about 6 inches tall.

:lol: wow if my daughter seen them tomato plants she would be in heaven she would have her salt shaker sittin in one of the rows eating em all up lol

Latest posts

Back