Look out Magilla!! 2006 food plot is underway!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
This year we are planning a 3 acre food plot in a strategic location. By the shooting house we built several years ago. The deer have gotten used to it, so it is now time to plant a great food plot at the end of it. The food will be corn this year, as the neighbors on both sides will be planting beans.

Their beans will be great very early, but we will have corn for cover and food to be utilized in late season.

The plot will be planted right up to the timbers edge. This will allow the deer to move into the corn without exposing themselves.
Once in the corn they will discover the center of the plot has been disked down to the ground. This will provide ample gleaning of partially shelled corn within the safety of the feild center :twisted: Disking down the center will also open up a huge shooting lane as well.

The disking or knocking down of the corn can be done as often as needed to insure fresh grain creating a haven for deer and pheasants.

100_0276.jpg

This is the family 4010 ready to do the job.

100_0279.jpg

The 3 bottom John Deere plow really is handy for tearing up old switch grass sod.

100_0291.jpg

My younger brother Ken at the wheel.

100_0281.jpg

We're underway and the plow shares are scoured to a mirror finish.

100_0280.jpg

The shooting house at the end of the plot. It is complete with a crapper that has a small receiving tank buried underground. We thought of everything. :D

The distance from the shooting house to the end of the plot is 250 yards on the nose.

How about you all sharing some pics of your "Magilla" plots and sites.

This could be fun.

Hey Jim,
If you want to take it a step farther, and want to double the sightings of deer in your area both during the spring/summer months, as well as hunting season, try this.
I usually do the same as you, but I plant the corn more for cover than any other reason. After everything has been disked and cleaned ( I always do a ph test first). I add lime AND fertilizer, usually 13-13-13 just prior to planting. You would be surprised how much this helps, and the deer will know it also. After planting the corn and letting it get a good head start (approx. 3-4inches) i also spread 1 bag (9pounds) per acre of Tecomate Ultra ForageMix in between the rows of corn. You can get Ultra Forage for about $30. a bag.
I copied this of of the web for you.

Ultra Forage is formulated to be a fast-growing, highly attractive annual mix for small woodland ?hunting plots.? And does it ever work! We?ve combined several proven legumes, i.e., peas, vetch and clovers, with chicory and specially selected brassicas, including a sensational new rape/turnip hybrid that produces both prime forage and highly preferred bulbs. Happily, the brassicas are most attractive during hunting season, when ?frost-curing? causes the sugar content and palatability of the leaves to significantly increase and when the rape/turnip hybrid?s sugar-laden bulb matures. The result of our specially selected cultivars is a mix that explodes out of the ground and draws in bunches of deer ? fast!

SPECS

Annual
Legumes, Chicory & Brassicas
Size ? 9-pound bag
Coverage area ? Plants 1 Acre
Application ? Fast-growing, highly attractive annual mix for small woodland ?hunting plots.?
Suitable region ? Nationwide. Best where frost coincides with hunting season.
Planting time ? Fall (August-November).
Planting Depth & Method ? Broadcast or grain-drill about 1/4-inch deep. When broadcasting, cover seeds by either lightly dragging or cultipacking.
HIGHLIGHTS

Explosive Growth For Quick Attraction
Great Fall ?Hunting Plot?
Perfect For Small, High-Use Plots
Peas, Vetch, Clover, Chicory & Brassica
Ultra-High Production
New Hybrid Rape/Turnip Provides Both Forage & Highly Edible Bulb
Peak Attraction During Hunting Season
Very User-Friendly
I have done this the past 2 years... you will be amazed!!!!

Hey Jim,
If you want to take it a step farther, and want to double the sightings of deer in your area both during the spring/summer months, as well as hunting season, try this.
I usually do the same as you, but I plant the corn more for cover than any other reason. After everything has been disked and cleaned ( I always do a ph test first). I add lime AND fertilizer, usually 13-13-13 just prior to planting. You would be surprised how much this helps, and the deer will know it also. After planting the corn and letting it get a good head start (approx. 3-4inches) i also spread 1 bag (9pounds) per acre of Tecomate Ultra Forage Mix in between the rows of corn. You can get Ultra Forage for about $12. a bag. If you do 3 acres, you will need about 10 bags. It sounds a lot at first, but this will definataly hold deer on your property if you have the right amount of cover, in which corn helps A lot!
I have done this the past 2 years... you will be amazed!!!!
I copied this of of the web for you.

Plant for Spring & Fall!

EXPLOSIVE GROWTH FOR QUICK ATTRACTION
CAN WITHSTAND HEAVY GRAZING
PREMIUM LEGUMES, CHICORY, AND BRASSICAS
HYBRID RAPE / TURNIP YIELDS FORAGE AND EDIBLE BULB
PEAK ATTRACTION DURING HUNTING SEASON

TECOMATE ULTRA FORAGE STANDSIDE HUNTING PLOT IS FORMULATED TO BE THE IDEAL STANDSIDE HUNTING PLAOT TO DRAW BUCKS IN CLOSE FOR EASY SHOTS.

Tecomate has combined several proven legumes, chicory, and specially selected brassicas, including a sensational new rape / turnip hybrid that produces both forage and sugar loaded bulbs. The brassicas are most attractive durning the hunting season after "frost curing" causes the sugar content and palatability to increase and the highly preferred bulbs mature. This expolsive annual mix is able to withstand heavy grazing pressure and keep on attracting bucks right to your stand. Recommeneded nationwide, especially where frost coincides with hunting season.

Disregard that first post! I copy and pasted the wrong specs on that product! :oops:

Hey Jim,
Those pics of your JD 4010 Diesel pullin' the plow really bring back the memories for me! When I was a youngster, my family didn't farm but we lived in the country. My neighbor who lived ? mile away was a farmer and had a lot of JD equipment (a 3020, 4020 and later a 4320 w/Hinniker cab 8) ). Man, I loved hangin' out at his place and messing around! I still have the JD toys that I had as a kid. I played with those things for hours on end! I always wanted to be a farmer when I grew up but life took me down a different path! I still live in the same small town that I grew up in and I still love going out to the farm (my bro-in-law farms). Just seeing those pics of your 'ole JD made me sit back and reminisce a little bit! :)

BTW, you're family is sure lucky to have a place like that to call your own and be able to get out there and work up the ground and plant your own plots. A little time out doing those kind of things sure does a body good!
Thanks for sharing the nice pictures!

Latest posts

Back