Storm Damage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
We got some serious wind. Blew over the grill and a bunch of stuff in the garden. We even had horizontal rain for a while.

house.jpg

Aidan's playhouse. I pulled it out of the mellons. Fortunately I didn't see any mellons damaged. I can probably fix it so he can still play in it.

sunflowers.jpg

The sunflowers blew over. The ground was wet already so when the wind hit they uprooted.

corn.jpg

The corn. I think I still have a couple plants still standing. :cry:

My pepper plants also blew over some. I'm not sure if they'll be ok or not.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That blows! Really!

If I had seen this earlier I would have told you to try uprighting your plants and placing a foot on the root ball to re-insert them into the ground. Is your corn ready yet?

Scott B

Some of the sunflowers are ok. We tried exactly what you just suggested. Some times it worked. Several wilted and we cut em down. We'll see what happens. Some that are leaning still are righting themselves at the top of the stalk. The corn isn't all ready, but it doesn't matter. It's straightening itself up except the few that broke the stalks.

Truthfully I'm a little surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still it was bad enough. We were REALLY looking forward to the sunflowers blooming. They were a few days from it I think. We thought it would be really nice. :? Maybe next year. :(

sorry to see the damage, i had been showing my wife the photos of your garden ever since youve been posting them. and we both were saddened by the damage. good to hear some are coming back. I staked my bell peppers this year because of storms and falling over in general and they seem to be thriving. we got over 3 inches of rain last week so I was glad the wind stayed away. keep up the good work.

sorry to see the damage, i had been showing my wife the photos of your garden ever since youve been posting them. and we both were saddened by the damage. good to hear some are coming back. I staked my bell peppers this year because of storms and falling over in general and they seem to be thriving. we got over 3 inches of rain last week so I was glad the wind stayed away. keep up the good work.

Have you ever heard the term, "Fences make fo good neighbors!"?

Not only do fences keep neighbors out of your garden, they block a LOT of wind....not the kind that blow straight down like micro-bursts or tornados, but the strong winds your garden experienced could have been somewhat re-directed. Trust me, I hate fences.....I like to see what's going on in my garden but we get some super thunderstorms down here! And a lot of work goes into weeding, planting, fertilizing, watering, and so on.....

Just a thought........
Scott B

corn ready?

Patrick,
THis is my first year for corn doing good. How do I know when to pick it?

Back