Lack of rain!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdb777

Reaction score
Food plot started off great....lots of animals(deer, turkey, and one bear) have been taking advantage of the small plot. But now I'm experiencing a drought......no rain for the last 40 days or so! Food plot is no longing growing, plants are dried out and severely wilted. Animals have gone else where to eat(Cuddyback not tripped for over a week-was getting 30 pics a day before that).

Will the plot recover if it rains?

Scott B

I'm thinking another 2 or 3 days without rainfall all will be lost, and I'll have to start a supplement type feeding for them animals. Still have a half ton of corn in the barn, some oats, and salt/mineral blocks. But it's not the same for weight gain and antler growth!

Thing is dang stream still has water in it, but the food plot is too large to carry water(I did it for 5hours on Saturday, just near my shooting stand) 10 gallons at a time. Thought I was going to pass out, so I gave up! The deer where this foodplot is are all still "small" from the lack of quality feeding. Hard to get a "legal buck" there.....does are a different story(they need to be "thinned out" somewhat).

Did a rain dance and drove 90miles home. Hope it works?!?!?
Thanks for the link Patrick!

Scott B

I can feel your pain. Some years ago I planted 8500 tree seedlings. It was a dry year. Between that, the weeds, wildlife and mower I think I have less than 1000 left.

Yeah!

It rained Thursday and Friday, total of 1.7" over a twenty hour period! Just what the plot needed.....will have to go next weekend to check it out. Time doesn't permit the trip this weekend(okay! the wife wants to go fly-fishing early in the morning).

Scott B

jims said:
I can feel your pain. Some years ago I planted 8500 tree seedlings. It was a dry year. Between that, the weeds, wildlife and mower I think I have less than 1000 left.
I've heard that same story from a guy I work with. He says the bucks work them over pretty good in the fall and break the tops out of the young trees.

Can't even imagine planting that many little trees!

No pain, but a little disappointed....weather is unpredictable! Guess I'll to design some kind of irrigation system....or something?

Scott B

My hunting buddy was at the food plot yesterday.

His report was far from encouraging. The rain that moved through helped, but a lot has died off. Around the stand seems okay(I watered that with a couple of "sprinkler cans" before the rain came), but I ran out of energy carrying water for half the day to do anymore.

Deer have found the plot again, and mowed the clover and rye looking grass! Good deal! At least the deer are still in the area. Just need more rain......

Scott B

Finally got to the foodplot early this morning. It was hot and I didn't really feel like killing myself doing the normal "tidying up", but I did it anyway. I leave a bucket by the fence and when I picked it up it had 3 inches of water in the bottom. Big storms rolled through the area a couple days ago and it was just what I needed. Rain!

A lot of "crop" loss was visible, don't think that stuff will be coming back? Took some Red Clover blend and scratched the ground and did some planting. First time doing a clover crop, hope it comes up good.......

Feeder went up while I was there also! Holds 8 50lb bags of corn, so let the fattening up process being! Thing is, I'll need to go up every weekend until bow season starts(then it's as much as possible)! Come on Oct. 1, I'm in such a rush for the season to get here!!!!!

Scott B

Back