Pepper plants wont grow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
In my garden this year I planted green beans, tomatos, and a few different kinds of peppers. I also planted a corn patch. Several of my bush bean plants have died off, but I think thats from getting too much nutrients. They are planted closest to the cow pasture and there is a large mud hole just inside the pasture that the cattle have to walk thru a lot. Needless to say it has a lot of manuer in it and that is leaching into the gargen. After the beans died I planted more tomatos and they are growing great. The doubled in size in the 1st 3 days, and have doubled in size again in the week since.
My problem is with my peppers. The plants just are not growing. They got about 1/3 the size that they usualy do then they got covered in blosoms. I plucked all of the blosoms off the plants 3 times in an attempt to get the plants to grow more. 4th time I just let the peppers grow, and these are the hottest jalapeno and chili peppers I have ever grown. Several people in my area are having this problem with pepper plants not getting any size this year. Does it have something to do with the weather, or what? Any suggestions on what to try? I'm not going to see the garden again until Mon eve, but anny suggestions would be apreciated.

In my list of stuff that I planted I forgot about the stuff I planted in the "flower garden" here. I have more cucumbers than we can possibly use, and will soon have more zukinie than we can possibly use by the looks of these plants.
So far I have just had a few peppers that like I said were all much hotter than usual, a few tomatos, and 3 good batches of beans. Pickled some cucumbers tonight, and will need to do a lot more when I get back from my weekend ATV trip.

No help here but I know birds like to clip pepper plants off at the ground and use them to line their nests. I always heard that it helped keep heat in the nest for the eggs. Probably an old wives tale but I bought it as a kid oh so many years ago.
Joe

When I planted hot peppers, I started them inside the house and have actual plants long before planting time. I buy some of those garden cups you can plant in and bury (just tear the bottom off of them). I use Miracle Grow potting soil and get them nice and tall. I want a good strong plant as hot peppers ususally start real slow. I planted lots of pepper, green, hot, you name it. I kind of stopped because no one wants to eat the hot ones anymore. My digestion just can not handle them like when I was young.

Just plant seeds and you are going to be real disappointed. Have good strong plants and you're better off. Do not even plant them until there is no chance of frost and the soil has warmed up real good. I like to plant peppers about 20 inches apart as they need to bush and spread fruit.

Also avoid high in nitrogen material, like cow manure. A fertilizer higher in Phosphorous and Potassium produces better fruit on them. Too much nitrogen makes a great looking leaf plant but very little fruit. Also peppers like lots of sun and moist ground. So keep them wet. I mulch around pepper plants with lawn clippings so the ground does not dry out.

pepers

i put manure in fall , grind it up into soil. In spring another load and grind it in then plant pepper planrs w/ miracle gro on them. I had a ton of them this year. I do keep thre water to them. Yes birds do clip peppers sometimes for some reason, but can also be a cutworm. I am going to lay newspapers on top of my garden this year, puch holes and plant. Then mulch w/ clippings etc. over that. I heard that it will keep weeds down plus retain moisture better we will see. I know a guy that does it w/ carpet?? Nice garden . We love sweet banana peppers stuffed w/ hot sausage, baked in homemade spaghetti sauce and covered in mozzare;;a cheese. Peppers extra we halve clean and freeze in the vacum bags. have peppers for dishes year round.

Latest posts

Back