HOW DO YOUR PLOTS LOOK THIS YEAR?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOdeer

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some feedback on how everybody's food plots are going. In northeastern MO, where my farm is, we have been blessed with an abundance of rain this year, so everything is going very well for me. Soybeans are knee high, and starting to bloom. We will make lots of beans this year. I also have 5 acres of Imperial Whitetail Clover, and its over 15 inches tall. I have had the chance to mow it several times this year.

An interesting side note, the last time I mowed, I got done and went back to put the sprayer on the tractor. When I came back to spray(about 30 minutes later) there was a large doe feeding in the freshly cut clover. This was about noon or so, and she would not leave the area, even when I rode by at about 30 yards or so on the tractor.

This has happened many times, so this fall we are going to cut part of our clover on the afternoon of a bowhunt. We are going to only mow that part that is within bow range of the stands we have up, in an effort to make the deer pass close to the stands. Normally we cut the whole field, and the deer trot from the woods to the center of the field out of bow range to feed. Has anyone else tried this? I would love to hear how it worked, or maybe I've planted an idea or two for others.

They look like the ad's for whitetail institute this year. New Extreme plot is knee high and was mowed already. Got a new 6' rototiller for the tractor and made all the difference on this plot. Never could get anything to grow until the ground was worked into a beautiful smooth, tilled seedbed. Then it just took off. Pleanty of rain has really helped.

A few blades of wild grass :lol:

I will use the atv gripper late this month and throw down oats for a fall/winter plot.

I have not been able to get my plots in due to rain. I have clay loam soil that holds moisture extremely well. I get it disced up and then we have a thunderstorm roll through. I can't get a break. :x

My plots are pretty much weed and grass free so when it dries out I'll be planting a brassica mix on most of it. On a better note my clover plots look great.

I cannot plant until September 1st.

MENU

For the second season in a row, we are offering; for the delicate enlightenment of your pallet:

Buck Forage Oats

Served Magilla Style over a crisp bed of Chicory.

Purple Top Turnips

Complete with greens. Sweet and deadly out to two hundred yards.
Best served with a side warm Spitfires.

Austrian Winter Peas

Guaranteed sweet and succulent to your last mouthful.
A perfect compliment to the grilled loin you will be providing.

18% gratuity added to cover the cost of powder

I finally got my plots in. I planted about two weeks later than normal but the soil was not dried out and I received over a couple of inches of rain within 24 hours of getting everything planted. With a little warmth and some more timely rain the plots should be in fine shape.

I planted 10 plots that total about 6 1/2 acres with a brassica mix. The mix contained a mix that I made up of Barnapoli rape, Bonar rape, Dwarf Essex rape, Barkant turnips, Rasja turnips and Pinfold kale. We've had warm weather and a little more rain since I've planted so germination has not been delayed like last summer.

It's been really cool in Michigan's UP this summer with very few days that have made it out of the high 60s. We've already had a couple of light frosts and will have snow within the next four weeks. Hopefully the warm weather (low 70s) hangs around for a few more weeks but the 10 day forecast tells a different story. The season is upon us and I'm ready.

Early goose opened up last Tuesday and bear opens up next Thursday. I didn't draw a tag but my hunting partner did so I'll at least get to film him on his hunt.

Good luck to all you guys.

Back