Achieved a lifetime dream

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was drawn for Australias hardest tag this year. We run a lottery system for it so every year you have as much chance as any other. After 7 years I managed to get a 1st period hog deer tag!
The hunt is on an island in my state 10km off the mainland, with no water, facilities or people it's really a great escape from civilisation for a week. Myself and 3 other drawn hunters hunted there for a week. I was fortunate enough to see a young 8" stag before taking my non-typical 7pt which is 12 3/4" on the long side. Unfortunately no other hunters saw any hog deer for the week. So I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to take him.

I spent hours scouring every inch of the hunting area, did a few days scouting and had my tc set up for 3 weeks leading in to my hunt. A combination of luck and hard work got me the greatest hunting achievement in the south pacific. For most of us a hog deer is considered the holy grail of deer hunting here.

Jp

Re: Achieved a lifetime dream

d06a2efabcb50c4811e7b5ca5d9a48f8.jpg

82b9da310b36c5aa8ba556161f448df6.jpg

We cannot break them down after shooting, as they need to be taken to a checking station to have measurements and weighs taken, a DNA sample and the bottom jaw removed. The positive is we get an accurate weight, gutted he was 75lb which is considered heavy, the average is around 55-65lb

Way to Go Jack! :applause: That is one cool looking deer.

Well I learned something new today. Never heard of one. But I looked them up and read about them. Very interesting animal. Congratulations on your harvest. That is some accomplishment. :yeah:

Thanks guys, smile still hasn't left my face. Yeh that's not overly surprising, they're quite rare. I do believe Australia has the only stable free ranging hunting population in the world. Most Aussies struggle to finish the six because of hog deer. (the six is our six species of deer). Great hunt at any rate and he really made me earn it.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Awesome. So did you guys do a spike camp on the island for a week?

Yeh just pitched a tent off the beach and hunted out from there for the week.

Back