Hit the bear lotto!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
After 5 years of applying I finally drew a bear tag! I've got some pics on my trail cam with some nice bears now I get a chance at one! Now I need to decide which gun gets the call for my dream hunt.

Ruger SRH .44
Savage 116 classic 30-06
Or my lucky TC Omega

Congrats to you also! Which gun gets to be the lucky one for you?

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Congrats goes out to both of you guys......... I wish you guys the best of luck and hope to see some bruin pics soon. Just be careful. They aren't like deer. These guys can kill and turn around and eat you........ :think:....HAVE A SAFE HUNT :!: :!: :!:

Ray.............. :yeah:

BuckDoeHunter said:
Congrats! :yeah: When is the hunt?

I can start setting up the bait August 14th and the actual season runs from September 1st through October 18th. Wont be much Deer hunting this year as this endeavor is going to use up all my get out of jail free cards for the year with the Mrs. lol

Congrads Guys. :applause: Black Bear hunting is a huge Adrenalin rush, hunting something that can eat you! I have been Bear hunting 3 times and got 2. First trip thought if I got one that would be enough, NOT! I am looking to go again now! :D Best of luck to you both. :yeah:

Hey Sqezer what are your baiting plans? I've started by saving all the bacon grease and fish fry oil from camping this weekend. That's a good smelling bucket right now lol

sqezer said:
The head of our Hunter Ed Program is a Bear Guide, he is in charge of everything.

Cheater... Lol na just kidding. I'd use a guide to if I had the option. I'll be doing my hunt 100% solo. Even my main hunting buddy (FIL) that would have helped just moved to Tennessee.

It's my first Bear Hunt ever & with limited time on my hands, it's best to use someone with knowledge on BEARS, so I don't get my SWEET ASS eaten. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stevenm2 said:
Look up "Bear Crack" you cook it, it has marshmellows and some other tasty stuff. smokes like crazy, play the wind. Check to see if it is legal but if they let you bait...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Be ... ORM=RESTAB

Best of luck to you.

Thanks steve, I've watched that video a few times and am using a modified version in my bait. Made up another batch this afternoon. It's working amazing! Check my thread about checking my bear bait for details.

Good Hunting Get a nice one.
I am leaving for a cow elk hunt with the smoke pole on the 19th.
I am going with 2 guys I went to grade school with.
We just turned 60 and have been close all our lives.

stevenm2 said:
Good Hunting Get a nice one.
I am leaving for a cow elk hunt with the smoke pole on the 19th.
I am going with 2 guys I went to grade school with.
We just turned 60 and have been close all our lives.

That sounds like it's going to be a fun and memorable hunt. Good luck to you as well.

Good news. I never realized there was a black bear lottery permit in Minnesota. I have hunted for bear in Maine, New Hampshire and my old home state of Massachusetts. The big thing if you are using bait is to be in a position that is scent free as possible.

First of all let me wish both of you ( O3mssy/Sqezer) a safe an productive hunts, Sqezer a think the 1-20 will work just fine . I killed my bear several years ago here in Arkansas with my 45 Knight Extreme an it did a fine job. I remember talking to Dan Fitzgerald at our sport shows one year and him telling me the most important think to do if you get a bear down was to get it out of it skin as soon as possible an get as much of the fat off the meat . He also said if you were going to eat the bear the 150 to 250 pounders would be the best ( not as fat).

wesley396 said:
First of all let me wish both of you ( O3mssy/Sqezer) a safe an productive hunts, Sqezer a think the 1-20 will work just fine . I killed my bear several years ago here in Arkansas with my 45 Knight Extreme an it did a fine job. I remember talking to Dan Fitzgerald at our sport shows one year and him telling me the most important think to do if you get a bear down was to get it out of it skin as soon as possible an get as much of the fat off the meat . He also said if you were going to eat the bear the 150 to 250 pounders would be the best ( not as fat).

Thanks for the info, I really think the 200 gr. Bloodline in the 1-20 will work just fine.

Back