Bear Bait barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
Well I have made a big enough dent in my honey do list of projects around the house that I figured it was time for a "me' project. Saturday I decided to make my bear bait barrel since I can start baiting on the 14th

First step I cut a 5" hole in the side.
1st_zps4gs1cvsl.jpg

I didn't like the sharp edges so I welded a 1/4" rod around the hole and ground it smooth enough to not be sharp on the bears arms/paws.
2_zpskaspytcx.jpg

Welded some square tubing on the back so I can run cable around a tree so the barrel stays put.
3_zpsyx6re7bh.jpg

I was just going to spray paint the exposed metal to prevent rust, but in typical me fashion I got carried away. Did it need a camo job... no but it was fun.
4_zpshbyvkvso.jpg

What you going to use for bait? We are not allowed to leave the bait in the barrel. So I always dug a hole in the ground about two to three feet deep, dumped the bait in there, then covered it with logs. Then we'd spread sand around the out side so we knew an approximate size, based on tracks. It always amazed me how far an adult bear can throw a log off that hole.

The best part was, when a bear came to the bait, he'd put his head into that hole which opened up his kill zone. With your system the nice thing is you can judge his size by how high he comes up on that barrel. Good luck bear hunting.

Nice Job! Man I envy you. I have not been bear hunting in 11 years now. Really wish I could go again. It is a total adrenalin rush when they come in. :D :yeah:

our harvest permits are on preference points. You get one point every year your NOT picked. And last time I waited six years. One reason I have not applied for another harvest tag. Besides, people have figured out that big money can be made baiting for out of area hunters. Trouble is they flood the area with bear baits. The woods are like a walking grocery store for the bear, and they get picky. And there just isn't the number of bears around as in the past. I pity them hunters that pay guides big bucks and then don't even see a bear. Its not right.

You want big bear you have to go where others are too lazy to go. Deep in the forest. That means hiking in every day with baits. And most "guides" as they call them selves ... if they can't reach it on a four wheeler, its not a bait site.

Nice job buddy but are you sure they'll find it :?: That's a great camo job :applause: :applause: Hope you bag a nice bruin :!:

Ray.......... :yeah:

We have property in MI that a relative runs baits on. It's a great spot, nice thick, private cover. Here's a picture from two or so years ago.

Last year was great for the bears, there were a lot. One guy took one right away. The other Hunter planned to wait for one of the two 'big ones'. He got his chance, I think 'bear fever' got him first though. He had a clean miss with a rifle on the typical bait range shot.

That same bear came back a few days later, not wounded, only after dark too. This year is shaping up to be very good again.

Back