Idaho .54 MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
I hunt deer and elk in Idaho with my old .54 MK-85, first gen inline. Filled a few tags with it but am still trying to find the right load. 110 grains of pyrodex pushing 435gr maxi-hunters gives me 4 inch groups at 100. 105 grains Pyrodex pushing a 405gr powerbelts will sometimes approach minute of angle, and sometimes 6 inches. And they leave significant shards of lead in the barrel. Lighter powerbelts were worse. Let's not even talk about the 425 grain Hornadys. Does anybody have a better load for the same ml? Or any 1:28 twist .54. Note; Idaho requires all lead, full caliber projectiles. :think:

Pure lead and full caliber projectiles are only required in muzzleloading only seasons, they are legal in general any weapon seasons.

Have you tried the full caliber Thor bullets? If not, I think you will be happy with them.

Redsky said:
Pure lead and full caliber projectiles are only required in muzzleloading only seasons, they are legal in general any weapon seasons.

Have you tried the full caliber Thor bullets? If not, I think you will be happy with them.

Thors look interesting. And look like copper. Yes, I could use them in rifle season, but that's not really the idea. Got a 7mm WSM that will print groups completely inside a single .54 hole for rifle season. But thanks. They do look interesting.

What I read did not register in my noodle and I goofed! Thor bullets are only made in 50ca.

I have shot the 535 grain No Excuses conical in my 54 caliber White rifle with good accuracy. I would think the 54 Knight would shoot them but haven't tried them in my Knights.

Latest posts

Back