Advice needed for Neighboring hunters crowding my best area

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title says, I need advice for how to hunt in a wooded area where I can watch the hunters kill deer on neighboring properties on 2 properties on either side of my property where I have my existing ladder stand. One hunter I have to walk right past his stand to get to mine from the backside of the woods while he is on his property. On the other side of me are 2 guys set up downhill at the bottom of our 2 fields but back in the woods. There is a hedge row and fence line separating our 2 properties where the deer funnel down to or out of. I am considering leaving my ladder stand for ground hunting or climber stand placement for a closer shot to where the deer funnel and those other guys shoot them from their stand. Obviously if the deer are on the other property, I can't shoot them. But if I set up in a spot to beat them to the punch on my side of the fence, should I do it and risk feeling like I am too close to them during Muzzle and Firearms seasons? I guess I am getting tired of putting in lots of hours over the past few years only to have the other guys take deer after deer before I can either see the deer from my ladder setup or be at a safe enough angle as to not shoot towards them or be shot towards myself by them.

Thanks.

If you set up in this new area, how close would you be to their location?

It sounds like they kind of set up to block you also. So as long as you're on your side of the fence, I guess you can set up anywhere you want. But I will warn you, property disputes of your blocking me, can get ugly. You need to think how bad you might want to get into all of this.

I know of "neighbors" that actually went as far as cutting down the others tree stand tree. When they were confronted about it of course he denied it. But when they showed him trail cam pictures, he cried like a baby begging not to be arrested. Property disputes can be serious.

Thanks guys, I will keep my safety and positioning of my stand where it won't cause problems for the other hunters or myself.
Also, since I will be using both my ladder stand and my climber, I will be able to be flexible to choose to hunt from the ladder stand if the guys are down in their bottom spot, or relocate with my climber if they are not hunting any days while I am there.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get to my spot without spooking the deer and crossing the path of that other guy in the middle of his woods on the back side of my stand. It is bow season now, so chances of getting shot at by the other guys goes down and chances of seeing deer in rut go up.
Woohoo!!!!

These disputes can sometimes become a pissing contest. My co-worker has photos on his trail camera of one neighbor urinating at @ the base of my co-workers tree stand.

Simple solution, if I found my neighbor pissing on my tree stand, Grab the Chain saw and cut down his stand the night before season, unless there is snow on the ground. :lol:

I got into it with a fellow a few years ago who hunted on the same property I hunted on. He didn't like where I put my stand so he relieved himself in it (#2). Later I had a confrontation with him in said woods. He somehow got a bad nose bleed. :lol: He threatened to go to the Sheriff until I told him I would tell everyone and their brother what he did. I had my regrets with what I did. This sort of thing can be dangerous. Nowadays I'm inclined just to walk away. You never know who you're dealing with. A lot of hunters become obsessed with shooting the big buck. Common sense can go out the window and be replaced with cutthroat backstabbing. Kinda sad.

A neighboring farm from our home was handed down to the owners 6 children (5 brothers/1sister). I knew them from church and school and the boys were all avid hunters and fishermen from a young age. We had a understanding that they could slug hunt deer during the gun season on our little 14 acre property that butted up to some of their land and I and my sons could bowhunt any of theirs when the gun season was closed. I knew all these guys and were respectful people and during the gun season they would sometimes drive in our yard to show us deer that they shot or sometimes I would see them walking on the road as I was driving by. One of the brothers looked like he was crazed, wild and just plain looked like he was obsessed about the deer hunting. I wouldn't even want to be in the same woods with someone like that around.

I have had the same problem, more than once. Truthfully, especially with hindsight vision, Your better off giving up the spot. Its either that, or the whole experience turns. You try a trick, they see it, things escalate... "you cant track a wounded on MY side" back and forth. Hunting becomes secondary. It becomes a game of screw you, before you screw me.. Nobody wins. Sometimes a good deal isnt so good on closer examination. even If it remains sociable...you hunt mon wed fri, i'll take tue, thurs, sat. the deer see constant pressure in that small spot, and reroute or go nocturnal. Everyones hunt suffers. Really, been there done that. Just go somewhere else where you can enjoy your hunt without the drama. Something about a hunting piece, that makes grown sane men loose all sense of reality. Unless you love drama, and your idea of "hunting" is really just an escalating game of screw the other guy....just walk away.

Back