Muzzle cover/rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
When muzzleloading in the rain I've always covered the muzzle with a piece of duct tape or electrical tape. Recently I've cut a finger from a rubber glove and put it on the muzzle. Has anyone ever done any accuracy testing on such techniques? Or does anyone do something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested finger cots and fingers off rubber gloves. No accuracy difference and very safe and effective.

I have only used tape but never had any problems with it.

I use Balloons, very cheap. No affect on accuracy. Most of the air in front of the bullet coming up the muzzle blows them off before the bullet gets to the muzzle.

ShawnT said:
Most of the air in front of the bullet coming up the muzzle blows them off before the bullet gets to the muzzle.
I agree, the pressure spike in front of the projectile will knock off whatever you use to cover the barrel. I just use electricians tape. I use a bright color so if I don't take a shot, it serves as a reminder/warning that there is a charge in the rifle.

I shot groups a few years ago to test if electrical tape affects the shot. There was no change in point of aim or group size what so ever with or without tape.

I just put a small piece of tape (electrical or painters) over the end of the barrel. I have never shot with it on, nor have I tested it. Truthfully, I don't hunt much in the rain these days. I have a flexible schedule to hunt, so most days I go are either nice maybe some or light rain/snow. Heavy rain/snow... I'll usually wait till a better day.

I have seen some testing that showed that bore cots (and tape, etc) DID have an effect on the accuracy, but most folks say it doesn't. But I have never done any testing personally, and I have not worried much about it honestly.

Well, my cut rubber gloves did the trick. See my thread in the hunting success sub forum.

Just yesterday both my son and I shot deer in the rain while using the finger of a nitrile glove and a rubber band over the end of the barrel. No negative impact on accuracy at all.

I had bought some Birchwood-Casey 'barrel cots' to cover the muzzle, but they must have been old stock as the rubber was really brittle and kept tearing. I had a box of nitrile 'rubber' gloves so I cut off the fingers and used them with a small rubber band on my .308 & his .50 cal. Worked great, cost a fraction of the price, and didn't affect either of our shots on deer.

ALW said:
Just yesterday both my son and I shot deer in the rain while using the finger of a nitrile glove and a rubber band over the end of the barrel. No negative impact on accuracy at all.

I had bought some Birchwood-Casey 'barrel cots' to cover the muzzle, but they must have been old stock as the rubber was really brittle and kept tearing. I had a box of nitrile 'rubber' gloves so I cut off the fingers and used them with a small rubber band on my .308 & his .50 cal. Worked great, cost a fraction of the price, and didn't affect either of our shots on deer.
I'm absolutely a ML novice but I'd seen a show years ago where Jim Shockey had a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle. I'm hunting in the rain right now with the finger out of a glove taped to mine as well. My wife is a nurse so the gloves and tape are free.

I buy non lubed rubbers figured they did well enough in Nam, it's what dad used on his 16 biggest problem I have is the percussion cap

Electrical tape is my preference as it will not slide off as some other covers will. Keeping some on in rough, steep, brush, or ice crusted snow areas may be a challenge.

I use black or green small balloons and small drop of nail polish on the cap and nipple. I've been throught some days of constant downpour and still fired as it should.

I use tape, never had an issue with that.

My issue came after I shot a sambar yearling and in the rain tried reloading. It was so hard to keep the rain out completely, fortunately I didn't need a second shot and once I was back at camp and unloaded it the powder was quite wet.

Not sure how to get around that issue

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

willie14228 said:
I buy non lubed rubbers figured they did well enough in Nam, it's what dad used on his 16 biggest problem I have is the percussion cap

Thank you! Why make this complicated. If you hit 7/11, WaWa, Sheetz, etc. on the way in to your spot to grab food and coffee grab a cheapo 3 pack of condoms while you're there. If you're lucky that will last you the season.

City Rat said:
willie14228 said:

Thank you! Why make this complicated. If you hit 7/11, WaWa, Sheetz, etc. on the way in to your spot to grab food and coffee grab a cheapo 3 pack of condoms while you're there. If you're lucky that will last you the season.

When your wife does your laundry and finds condoms in your pockets it could make for an interesting conversation lol! But I've heard lots of guys using latex condoms to as a barrel raincoat lol :)

Latest posts

Back