Need Hunting Load for a White G-Series Whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this question but it seems like a good place to start. I'm having an issue with the end result of the conical bullets I am using in my White G Series rifle. It's a .451 caliber and I am shooting a 400+ grain conical over 70 grains of Pyrodex powder. The combination is extremely accurate on the range and the gun is sighted in at 75 yards.

I have hit two deer with this combination and have not been impressed with the results. The bullet has gone where aimed but it was a complete pass through on one with no expansion and little or no blood trail. That deer was hit through the lungs and went about 100 yards. No blood until the last five yards before it was recovered and a neat .45 caliber hole. Thankfully there was snow. The second deer was not recovered although I am as certain as I can be it was hit based on the reaction to the shot and the relatively close distance (40 yards). Again, no hair, no blood trail and two hours of tracking/searching for sign met with negative results.

Do any of you have a more effective load for this rifle that you have personally used on deer successfully that puts them down or at least makes tracking easier? These bullets fly true out of the rifle but they really don't seem to do much on the terminal end. I have tried upping the powder load to the 90 grains recommended in the White manual but the grouping is erratic and opens way up.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

John

I have yet to take a deer with my White .451 but did shoot one doe with my .504 and it dropped in its tracks. Complete pass through, but massive internal damage. My first question would be, who cast your bullets and how hard is the lead? I cast only pure lead. Now I shot 80 grains of Pyrodex P on my harvest (I think it was) and like I said ... massive internal damage.

Actually I have hear lots of good comments on the ability of the .451 caliber conical.

Thank you Cayuga for the response. I don't have the box handy to give you the manufacturer information but will post it when I get home. They are the same long conical design as the White Super Slug and were touted at the time as giving the same level of performance as that round. If I'm not mistaken, they are somewhere in the 460 grain range.

I have had similar performance issues with the TC Maxi-Balls, which seem to be the same profile/design if not the same length and weight, when I used a percussion cap gun. That is one of the reasons I made the switch to this gun. I have tried the White Power Sabot in this gun as well but they gave very poor accuracy with a variety of powder loads and were extremely difficult to load.

I have other more modern in line muzzleloaders I could use but I really like this gun. Hopefully someone has a load that will make it work.

I have the Super 91 in .451 caliber and here are some bullets that work extremely well on whitetail.

IMG_0409_zpsc37d7bca.jpg

Edmehlig's 350 gr. Gould HP, 75 gr. Swiss 3f - doe was DRT at 100 yds lasered.

8a7646cf-b31f-45c3-aa1e-8266c0d501ba_zps5cc704d9.jpg

Similar bullet to Ed's that I cast myself. Shot the best buck of my life 2 yrs ago with 75 gr. Swiss 3f. 20 yd tracking job!

DSC00069.jpg

385 gr NoExcuse .451, 90 gr. Pyrodex P. Doe shot at around 75-80 yds did a backflip and dropped DRT.

They look very similar to what I'm using now. Sadly, I did not have the same experience with them.

Might just be time to make a change. I'll do some testing myself when the weather is better.

Thanks to all for their response.

My White M97 is the White tail hunter with a 22 inch barrel. It is crazy accurate. I thought I had the best bullet for accuracy until I shot some sent to me to try. WOW!! they were accurate. Like I said, never hit a deer with it, but I was shooting 60 grains of Pyrodex P and a 460 grain into Poplar Fire wood and it penetrated 8 inches. The bullet expanded perfect. Those conicals were made from pure lead by Bull Shop Conical Bullets.

I am wondering if when you had a pass and no expansion if you were just lucky enough to miss all bone. The deer I shot with my M97 Ultra Mag .504 with a 460 grain conical and 80 grains of T7 ... she was facing me and i was in a tree. I shot her high in the brisket and the conical went through her lungs, clipped her heart, went length way through her, exited the stomach, hit a hind leg breaking it, and disappeared into the woods. She never took a step. Just folded where she was standing.

I know my grandsons swear by the 350gr gr HP and my 465 gr conicals and they should, the four deer they harvested were DRT. I take that back one went about 20yds. My youngest grandson used the 350gr HP with 50gr of 777-3F at 50yds she never knew what hit her.

Back