Africa Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son won a hunting trip to South Africa and is taking me along. We will be hunting from Oct 1st to Oct 8th. Right now I'd like to take a Zebra, Gemsbuck and Impala. I'd like to take my .45cal White ML on the trip and shoot my 465gr conicals. The problem is getting either 777 or Swiss 3F powder. From what I've been told you need a permit to purchase black powder and my Outfitter doesn't have one nor does he know of anyone who does. So unless the Outfitter is able to obtain black powder somehow I may be forced to take my 280Rem along. Question is I'm leaning to using 150gr bullet. but what bullet would you recommend for a Zebra and Gemsbuck?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ed

Barnes TTSX. That would be a good match for your 280 for sure.

I have killed the game you mentioned with a longbow - nosler partition and hornady interlock in heaviest gr would be good choice - be sure to look at anatomy because they are different then white-tailed deer -

That sounds like a great adventure. As you mentioned, if you can't be assured of powder and primer availability once you get there, just take a centerfire.

We've even see shooters in the USA having to plan ahead at times, all the more an issue overseas.

They make a bunch of quality bullets, the Barnes are fine, partititions, Accubonds and others.

Ed:
Too bad the current environment in Africa isn't as fortunate as we are here in the states, with respect to powder availability. I too wish someday to go and take a ML, should have done it a decade or so ago.
My cousin and another fellow shooter went on safari in 2001 after shooing in the world LR-ML match. They used the same rifles they shot in the world match - an original Whitworth match rifle and original Kerr 3-band, both 45 cal. I recall trying to get them to practice with some HP bullets, they didn't as they are not hunters (in the sense that many of us are) and shot their match bullets. The powder available then was WANO.
Interesting the hunting stories for greater Kudu, Gemsbok, antelope and a few other plains game all included kills under 100 yards and EVERY bullet passed completely thru the game animals, no matter where they hit them. The guide never saw anything like it and was just awe-inspired. On his gemsbok, he double lung shot it, the animal turned, and his hunting partner handed him his Kerr and he then shot it length wise as it was running away - 2 holes all the way thru. Found it a 100 hundred yards away, which seemed common upon recovery as the animals are definitely tough.
Those that have gone with a ML are very fortunate...and we look forward to your stories as well.

I hear ya. I was so looking forward to using my 451 White with my 465gr bullets that I cast. I know of a way to get BP to South Africa, but I'm too chicken and I don't want to spend my time in the Grey Bar Hotel if I get caught. I know others have done it, but I'm not taking the chance. So I'll be using my safe queen Rem 700 in 280Rem shooting Barnes 150gr TSX bullets. Now to get to the range and see what load she likes. Right now I may just go after a Zebra as I've seen some beautiful mounts at a SCI Banquet and said to myself "I'd like to get one like that someday". I may go for a Gemsbok, but I don't know if I would have a place for it in my house. I'll be just as happy with the Zebra and take videos of my son taking his game with a bow. I'll know I'll have a great time just seeing the abundance of game and seeing the sights.

Hey Ed, you are very fortunate to make that trip. I imagine the meat from you kills will be donated to a local tribe if the articles I've read are correct. I would hope you will be able to at least get a meal or three for your efforts. Best of luck, looking forward to the trip details!

It sounds like a wonderful time Ed. I sure wish you could get your White over there. That would be some stories to tell. But I am sure you and your son will have the time of your life. That 280 is a great caliber. I first was introduced to it when a friend and I went hunting. He pulled a brand new Remington 700 BDL out of his case. I was using a 30-06 at the time. And then, as I watched him loading, I realized it was not a 30-06. He explained the ballistic to me. Which of course went over my head. But I saw him drop a nice buck at around 120 yards and it never even quivered. Just dropped. An impressive shooting rifle.

TT, yep the game will be fonated to the nearby tribes. From what I hear nothing is wasted?

Dave, yea I'm a little bumbed out not being able to hunt with my White. But with the legal nonsense there it's not possible to get black powder unless you have permits to purchase them. So I'll be taking my safe queen my Rem700 in 280 who my friends call "Mr.Death". Reason being just about everything I ever shot with it traveled about 3 feet straight down. Only a couple traveled a few yards. But ever since I was introduced to White ML's and making white smoke it pretty much sits in my safe. Maybe in my past life I was a frontiersman?? Grin

edmehlig said:
TT, yep the game will be fonated to the nearby tribes. From what I hear nothing is wasted?

Dave, yea I'm a little bumbed out not being able to hunt with my White. But with the legal nonsense there it's not possible to get black powder unless you have permits to purchase them. So I'll be taking my safe queen my Rem700 in 280 who my friends call "Mr.Death". Reason being just about everything I ever shot with it traveled about 3 feet straight down. Only a couple traveled a few yards. But ever since I was introduced to White ML's and making white smoke it pretty much sits in my safe. Maybe in my past life I was a frontiersman?? Grin

When I used to hunt with my Ruger M77 in 7mm mag, my friends named it Ma Bell. After the telephone commercial. Because in my hands it would reach out and touch someone. Isn't a 280 in the same caliber class as a 7mm magnum? My understanding is it is a little faster and with more energy down range. But as I said.. ballistics is not my thing. All I knew was what I shot with it dropped in its tracks.

Are you going with a heavy bullet or a light one in Africa. I would think a heavy bullet might be a good thing. All I read is some of those critters over there are hard to kill.

Dave the 7MM has a little more power then the 280 especially with the heavier 175gr bullet. But it's right on its heals. I'll be using the Barnes 150gr TEZ bullet as that is what the Outfitter recommended as Zebras and Gemsbok are tough animals.

My dad has been there several times. Absolutly loves it and its costs are coma[pratable to a CO elk hunt.

Anything wrong with say, loading cartridges with whatever powder you want to use and upon arrival pulling the bullets and collecting the powder for your frontstuffer? Many ways to skin a cat...

That was suggested to me by someone who done just that. I just didn't want to take the chance and spend my time there in the Gray Bar Hotel.

Latest posts

Back