Do you read in your deestand ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymguy

Reaction score
I do, and will continue. I was suprised at how devided my camp was on the issue? So please include WHY you do or donot read "on stand"
prost
Ben

I was reading some books one year by Janet Evanovich, the Stephanie Plum series. But I had to stop as I caught myself laughing too much. So instead I read manuals for things like my GPS. I think I have read that five times. But ... I do know everything about my GPS. I also read a book on tracking big game, and one on flintlock rifles (I was teaching myself to use them).

Reading is ok if you can stay still and quiet. If not put the book down. I am out there to hunt.

I walked up one Sunday morning on a friend of mine in his tree stand. He never heard me coming. He was reading the Sunday paper and drinking a cup of excellent coffee. Do you know how far the smell of coffee carried on a crisp morning? Its amazing.

I don't. I would feel like I might "Miss Something". I personally just like to watch nature happening all around me and clear my mind. My Brother called it "getting my Mind Medicine". For me it is a very fitting term. :D

Nope. I've brought magazines or books with but have never read any on stand. I hate reading (except hunting forums of course) and since a big part of my job is reading I prefer to avoid it when I'm unwinding enjoying nature.

Sometimes I do, sometimes not, depends on my state of mind. I get that reading can take away from the experience and also make you miss a silent deer passing but sometimes I simply have a hard time staying still in my stand, due to my mind fixed on something going on in my life or whatever. Reading can help me stay still and keep me in my stand longer. And it's surprising to me how frequently I can hear a deer before seeing it.

SteveH said:
Sometimes I do, sometimes not, depends on my state of mind. I get that reading can take away from the experience and also make you miss a silent deer passing but sometimes I simply have a hard time staying still in my stand, due to my mind fixed on something going on in my life or whatever. Reading can help me stay still and keep me in my stand longer. And it's surprising to me how frequently I can hear a deer before seeing it.

Bolded is the same for me. Some days I can sit in the woods, relaxed and focused on nothing but what's happening (or not) around me. Those are great hunting days.

Other days I have a hard time staying on task in the midafternoon. These days I'll read something for a while. Sure it's possible I've missed a deer passing by once or twice, but it can keep me in place until the late afternoon prime time, and I always snap back into the hunting then.

I always bring a book and a small notebook and pen pencil, usually a Western/frontier/mountain man, trapping or an old a.r.harding book. Sometimes I read and keep my ears open and sometimes I'm just to into hunting and what's going on to read all depends on the moment.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

I usually bring my iPad, many times I've worked on my Sunday message while enjoying His creation. Love all the ways to commune with the Lord!

Never used to. #&*×@ smart phones... Am trying to quit though. Hunting has always been a refuge for me from EVERYTHING that stresses/bums me out. Being able to look things up, especially the news, distracts me from my distraction.
Perhaps I should go backnto a flip phone.
Took a book a couple times. Got soaked...

Ipod and magazine - water and coffee - always a fuji apple on the afternoon hunt when hunting in blind - hunting on ground with only natural cover- a stool to sit on, brush or tree behind me and some camo cloth with brush in front - have also used a gilli suit and had deer within 4 or 5 feet.

Ipod and magazine - water and coffee - always a fuji apple on the afternoon hunt when hunting in blind - hunting on ground with only natural cover- a stool to sit on, brush or tree behind me and some camo cloth with brush in front - have also used a gilli suit and had deer within 4 or 5 feet.

Hello All:

As a rule I hunt after work. I get out at 210 PM and I can be hunt ready in one of many treestands by 3PM or so. I do not read when I am in a stand because I will only be there for a couple of hours at best until sunset.

You see our muzzleloader seasons are after the bow and general firearm. So there isn't a ton of sunlight left after the second week of December.

Believe it or not, often I pray in my stand. I know that may sound heretical to some but it is a place of peace to me.

bigbore442001 said:
Hello All:
Believe it or not, often I pray in my stand. I know that may sound heretical to some but it is a place of peace to me.

Nothing at all wrong with that. I do read in the stand but then I stay there from an hour before sunrise until dark in the afternoon. I've also had the occasion to pray in that stand too, but mostly I contemplate things. I also do crosswords while up the tree.

Something I got into and have passed on to the grandkids is that when taking an animal like a deer one should spend a quiet minute to really take in what's been done.

I read during muzzleloader.

Michigan muzzleloading season is late (Dec 18). At that point the deer are usually post rut and bunched up again. It's also often easy to pattern them because of the snow. Often I know within about 30 or 40 minutes when they are going to show up.

I'm typically hunting over wide open Fields that still have some food source under the snow.

I usually bring something to read because I'm rarely surprised and usually have time to pick up the stick and get set for a shot.

Usually a philosophy of life type book. I don't like using my phone. I feel like my eyes don't adjust well looking up from my phone, it takes a second.

I don't when hunting tighter cover during bow season though. While bow hunting I have been surprised too many times. I stand in my stand with bow in my hand. All I have to do is draw back. Got to be ready when bow hunting.

Also during the rut things happen too fast. With all those deer running around everywhere, all of the sudden one will be on top of me without warning!

Thank you for your time.

I do not. I have seen more than once where a buck was in and out of view for quite a short period of time. If I was reading I am sure I would have missed it. Deer sometimes seem to magically appear, and at times disappear about as quickly.

jims said:
I have seen more than once where a buck was in and out of view for quite a short period of time. If I was reading I am sure I would have missed it. Deer sometimes seem to magically appear, and at times disappear about as quickly.

At my age it wouldn't matter if I was paying strict attention, I'd still miss the opportunity if the deer is moving.

MrTom said:
bigbore442001 said:
Hello All:

Nothing at all wrong with that. I do read in the stand but then I stay there from an hour before sunrise until dark in the afternoon. I've also had the occasion to pray in that stand too, but mostly I contemplate things. I also do crosswords while up the tree.

Something I got into and have passed on to the grandkids is that when taking an animal like a deer one should spend a quiet minute to really take in what's been done.
Completely agree!
I pray while in the stand, take time to reflect on life, enjoy nature. And when I take a deer I always thank god for the harvest and blessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ma and I just finished talking about this topic...she was quick to point out that my book and glasses were on the dresser the morning of the opener. Yup, forgot them both....and the binocs. Made for a long day and I hate using the scope to count tines, but it worked and while I was pointing the gun in the direction of the deer I figured I best shoot it.

She's mentioned my forgetting the book a couple times now today. Sure glad I didn't drop her off some place and forget to pick her up. lol

Same here guys. What better place to reflect on life and the wonders that God has given us! I read a few magazines and also a bible.

Latest posts

Back