Western Hunting Options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I have been thinking about an out of state hunt in the next few years. Would like to hunt something we don't have in VA, elk would be high on my list. Now being from VA tag draws and preference points get my head spinning. When I buy my big game license here it comes with the appropriate tags. I have family in UT but again the regulations have me confused. Is there any place left out west where I can show up, buy a tag, and hunt public land with a muzzleloader? I may consider a guide if I can afford it but funds are tight. Any pointers and suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks.

Yes there is colorado 2nd and 3rd rifle you could use your muzzy to hunt bull elk and possibly buck mule deer on a leftover tag depending on unit.

Thanks. I was thinking about finding an outfitter. I'm an eastern deer hunter, not sure how my experience will transfer over.

Idk I do know a guy that always camps down the road from me in Archery season from Georgia I think it was he shoots elk every year from a tree stand. You may be able to apply what you already know more than you think.

Washington state has otc non-resident tags no drawing required. There are special permits you could apply for to get better seasons or trophy opportunities. Bear Paw outfitters does guided hunts in eastern Washington. We have stricter ML laws so your current set up might not be legal out here though. Another gripe I have is you have to not only choose your weapon, but whether you will hunt east or west of the Cascade mountains. But it is an option to look into.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

My buddy & I went on our 1st elk hunt last Fall, CO. We did go with guys who have gone on & off for 20 years, so we que'd off them some. Low & behold these two long time deer hunters got a bull elk. Many of the same rules apply, wind, scent, knowing where game is likely to hang out, etc..

http://diyhunting.com/ebook/DIY_ELK_HUNTING_5.pdf

The above is a link for some good tips, I employed a handful of them. We did '2nd season rifle', public land.

I'm not sure if you're into Podcasts, but if you are or if you could see yourself being (think talk radio on topics you enjoy available at any time on phone or computer) there are a couple that I would recommend listening to for some good western hunt information. One is the MeatEater Podcast with Steven Rinella and the other is Hunt Talk Radio which is hosted by Randy Newberg.

A couple of friends of mine and I have committed to the same thing in the next couple of years. Good luck and have fun with the research!

Idaho has some over the counter elk tags, but some of the hunts have a limited number of tags. You'd want to buy the license and tag together, early, and before you go. Oh, and Idaho also has some of the most restrictive muzzleloader regs anywhere, which a lot of people complain about. I say, read carefully, and either live with it or hunt somewhere else.

I went on a Co. Elk Hunt this fall with my son, I'm 64 and a little out of shape. I wasn't able to get into shape like I wanted to because of issues with foot problems. The first week was a killer on my legs and lungs, one needs to get his or her legs & cardio in shape. The weather can change in a heart beat, we started out in the morning below freezing & by 10am it was in the mid 80's & when the sun dropped over the horizon it would drop 30-40 degrees. with the back pack, gun or bow, sidearm carry as light as possible. I started day 1 with my Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk, day 3 I went with the Ruger .45 Vaquero, by week 2 I was down to the .380 and less in the backpack. Be prepared to walk & walk & walk. I will be going back in 2018 with my son and the oldest grandson, he will be almost 14 & my son's son,. my middle grandson and he will be almost 12. My son & myself are going as Mentors. Thanks to the State of Colorado for the MENTOR HUNTING PROGRAM. :yeah: :applause:

Thanks for the suggestions. Got really busy with a change of assignment at work and haven't been around much.

Latest posts

Back