Opinion. Are you really hunting if you

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
have wifi in your stand?

I have a back yard stand where I am able to connect. Just saying.

Not sure if it qualifies as a real hunt if you have wifi contact.

I have zero issue with it. Relaxation in the woods with the possibility of seeing or even shooting something for dinner is what I call it.
Sometimes you go on a hunt, sometimes you just get out to enjoy the sights and sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry my phone to the stand and have excellent reception there in case I need it. I can do anything in that stand I can do at home in the chair. The phone is on vibrate in the woods and in the stand and is carried where I can get to it if needed but where I can't feel it vibrate. The whole idea of my being in the woods is not so much killing something but to enjoy the solitude SO I CAN RELAX. The only reason I carry that phone is because Ma insists on it should I fall or something. At my age if I die in the stand I figure I'm as close to heaven as I can get and couldn't be happier going doing something I love....without interruption. The phone is a wonderful tool, but the disruption brought with all the other crap that comes afield with today's phones is nothing more than aggravation to me.

I don't and would not if I could get online. My Cell phone is a company phone and is how I receive service calls and support calls plus all the corporate email crap, so If I am off It is off. I don't care much for talking on them anyway and really hate typing/texting. Guess I am getting to be an old fart. :roll: But If I am on my time in the woods or on the lake I do not take anything electronic with me. Its my time to UnPlug, Relax, Pray and just enjoy the outdoors God created. I call it getting my Mind Medicine!

ShawnT said:
But If I am on my time in the woods or on the lake I do not take anything electronic with me. Its my time to UnPlug, Relax, Pray and just enjoy the outdoors God created. I call it getting my Mind Medicine!

AMEN Brother!!!

Don't own a phone. Have never carried a phone. Have never hunted from a stand. However, it seems to me if i were in a stand, reading this forum on a phone, and shot a deer walking by, i would really be hunting.

I’m curious what you hunt with. I guess you’re still hunting or spit and stalking since you don’t use a stand. No modern tools so I guess you’re using a flintlock too. I envy that kind of hunting but have no place to take that approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt with the most modern of powder i.e. Blackhorn, loaded in the Knight Mountaineer Ultralight, a very modern rifle. Bullet used was a very modern bullet--the Lehigh 265 grain controlled fracturing. What, you think i am a hillbilly because i don't have a phone? My four wheel drive truck has an automatic transmission, fuel injection, electric windows, and radial tires, and i don't even have to get out and turn the hubs in.

Yes i still hunt. What that amounts to is seeing white tails waving good bye every day for 26 days whilst i struggled to move quiet, but fail. On the 27th day i found myself in the middle of deer unaware of my presence, and one is dead meat. They walked around me while i identified sex, and age, and it was great fun.

:mrgreen:

Not at all! Like I said, I envy you in that the place I have does not lend itself to that kind of hunting. I hunt a tamarack swamp and am pretty much forced to sit on stand and wait. Muck up to my rear end, hip boots for sure. Can't see 10 yards. We cut lanes and sit in tower stands and wait, and wait, and wait. 10 hours a day. Drives me nuts.

Part of the reason I hunt is to get away from it all not to take it with me. I guess it depends on what you want from hunting. If you're purely there just to wait for a deer to show up and shoot that's one thing.

I hunt to experience nature and the real world, and with so much happening in nature I don't know how anyone could be bored enough to need anything else. Sitting back with a beautiful view, surrounded by trees, lots of animals and birds all doing their thing and the songs of the wild, it's easy to forget I'm chasing deer sometimes!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, and guys try and tell me the west is wide open country and you have to take long shots.

I really enjoyed being able to text my brother a picture as soon as the buck was down. That way I got to share the experience sooner, and allowed him maximum lead time to get his boys and come help me pack it out!

Also, Idaho has quotas on how many wolves or mountain lions can be taken in some areas. When the quotas are met, the season closes in that area regardless of the calendar. It could be nice to be able to double-check in the field. Better living through technology.

What would happen if the quota is met while you're hunting and then you get a kill? Do they expect you to check while you're hunting?

Muley Hunter said:
What would happen if the quota is met while you're hunting and then you get a kill? Do they expect you to check while you're hunting?

My understanding is you can call in, or check the website, and the numbers are supposed to be updated daily. https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/mountain-lion/quota Hunters have 10 days to report taking a male lion, or 5 days to report taking a female. I'm assuming I can check the day before, and go out in the morning without having to re-check. If I'm leaving the house at O-dark-thirty, I'm doing well to have my boots on the right feet, so don't ask me to check a website.

I use my cell phone all the time. I used it to control my GoPro camera and try and video the hunt if possible. The problem I have is my phone doesn’t like cold weather and will automatically power down so I have to bring hand warmers with me. I have excellent cell reception where I hunt but it’s more for peace of mind.

I don't see it as not hunting ….It is not like you are going to one of those cheesy hunting preserves where ur shooting in a pen . Ya know the kind where they tell you what a great shot you made while you are righting the check out!! :roll:

Latest posts

Back