Public Land Hunting Success - helpfull aids

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORVAIR

Reaction score
I have been an Indiana public land deer hunter for the last 30 years or so. After several years of limited harvest success and many failed attempts to acquire private land to hunt on without a lease, I came to a conclusion there might be a more scientific approach to hunting the already adequate public land available.

Topographic maps and aerial photo's;
Though these are very valuable for a hunter to use to check terrain features, elevation changes and assisting in determining thick cover areas, they are certainly not the only means available. What about the internet, what about GPS technology and, and, good old field leg work or detailed terrain scouting.

My method's:
GPS - I started using a GPS around June of 2000 and never looked back.
My fisrt GPS was a Magellan 210. I managed to lose that handy device while deer hunting in Nov. 2005, never to be found after intense searching. Scanning the internet and GPS store wholesaler's, I found the Lowrance IFinderHunt GPS. This unit is specifically made with the game hunter in mind.
http://www.lowrance.com/products/outdoo ... erhunt.asp

GPS mapping software - Searching the internet back in 2003, I managed to locate exactly what I was looking for. Software that could access USGS topographic maps and USGS aerial photo's. One without the other is absolutely useless for serious scouting, especially when coupled with the ability to overlay GPS marked field locations or waypoints.The software name is ExpertGPS and I have used it exclusively since 2003 for all scouting, map creation and printed maps/photos to use in the field.
http://www.expertgps.com

To make a long detailed story as short as possible, I have included some photo's of deer I have taken since 2003. The three deer shown were all taken on Indiana public land using my scouting method's and maps. Proper stand placement, body cleanliness and willingness to sit on stand for all day periods are also employed by me.

Taken 2003, Knight MK85, net score 168 5/8, gross 181
mypictures0002hb3.jpg

By corvair, shot with Unknown at 2007-08-15

In 2004, hit a huge 10 point that would have scored in the 150 category. Hit a limb, bullet deflected. Deer was hit, but never saw it the rest of the season.

Taken 2005, Savage 10MLII
buck1dec172005015se6.jpg

By corvair, shot with E4300 at 2007-08-15

Taken 2006, Savage 10MLII
copyofnov182006buck008xr7.jpg

Jack that is VERY impressive, great post and great bucks. You could do an article for NA Whitetail and if they did not print it, they would be nuts. You employ several key things in your approach.
One- The use of all available navigation and scouting aides and devices to locate key areas of public land where trophy deer can be found.
Two- Your use of the most effective muzzleloader/shooting technology available to a hunter in Indiana.
Three- Your attitude of not giving up and overcoming all obstacles in your quest of your personal goals.
There is more great information in your short post then in 90 percent f the deer hunting articles I read.
I applaud you.
I am seldom impressed folks, but this is impressive. Being from Indiana and very much aware of the difficulty involved with finding good hunting ground, the ins and outs of shooting smokeless muzzleloaders, and having met Corvair personally, I can say this with confidence. Corvair is a deer hunters deer hunter.

You would be called a true hunter in my circle of friends. Now where did you say you put your tree stand? :roll:

Thanks to all for the very kind words. The software link I feel is very important and something every one whom uses a GPS should investigate and make use of.

Scouting report for all who are interested:

Last Friday evening my wife and I traveled to my favorite public land hunting area and did some pre-season "road scouting". What is "road scouting" you ask, well it amounts to traversing the country roads after dark using a spotlight and binoculars. Yes it is legal in Indiana as long as there is no weapon of any kind in your vehicle.
This is a great method to find out what is living in your general hunting area.

The result,and most of you will have trouble believing this is Indiana:

I counted better than 40 deer sightings, 15 of which were bucks. Out of the 15 bucks, 1 was a 180 class, 2 were 160 class and 1 was around 140 class. the rest were two to three year olds. In one bean field, I saw all bucks and there were a total of 8, three of the really big bucks were in that one field. :D

Where is the state land in relation to the private property(bean fields)?Directly behind the bean fields and it is all wooded with heavy cover available.This particular area has yielded two nice bucks in the past for me and my long time hunting partner.To say that I am anxious for bow season is really an understatement. :D :D

p.s. Extra thanks to Rman for the extremely nice feedback.Only meeting once at the first Indiana smokeless shoot, I feel like a longtime friend.
God bless you and your family!

Awesome deer corvair and some really great tips. You are certainly a better hunter than I am. I would wish you good luck this season but I don't think you'll need it! 8)

Very good information. It IS hard to impress the Rifleman! :lol: 8)

I've made this topic a "sticky" as to not lose it.

What a great post. I want to get right out and do a lot of scotting on state land nixt year so this will help a lot.
Thanks Jeff

Great info and congrats on your success.

I hunt about 70 miles sw of you on private land but might start checking into some public ground as well.

what time of year is your ML season in Indiana? Here in MN bow season opens in Sept firearm is the first 2-3 weeks in Nov and the ML season is later, after firearms season, I have been thinking of trying Iowa's ML season because it is early.

Are you talking about the early season in October? I have never tried that one, I always go during the late muzzleloader season in Dec./Jan.. I like the late season because the weather is usually cold with snow(not last year), the deer seem to move earlier in the evening to feed in the cut corn fields when the weather cooperates.

Hello Convair,
Can you please check your private messages. I know someone that asked you a question.
THANKS
MARTIN LOADER

Latest posts

Back