Bolt throw hitting scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I have a .243 Remington 700 with the thin barrel. It will be mostly a bench and varmint gun. I have a Weaver Classic Extreme 8x32 -50 mm with a 30 mm tube. I wanted to use the Dednutz one piece low mount. There is plenty of clearance between the scope and barrel but the bolt when lifted wants to contact the power adjustment ring on the scope.
The scope has 3/8 clearance, if I go to the mediums it will make 1/2 inch clearance on the barrel but even then I am not sure the bolt throw will not contact the scope at the selector ring. Any suggestions? Thanks
I would rather not mill material off the bolt if possible.

Just get high rings and if that's not enough get extra high. I used to worry about scope height but get what you need for that scope to function on that rifle. The one piece Leopold base and rings work well on my .243 and couldn't be happier. It's never been loose in the 12 years irs been on it.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Sounds like you may have 2 things working against you, the combination of the Low Mount and the Larger power select ring on the 30mm tube. I would say that the easiest way around it is to go to at least a Medium mount. The thin sporter barrel is really what is allowing you to use the low mount and not have the barrel and Objective lense touch. If it was a heavy barrel rifle I really doubt that you would be even close with the low mount. How is the scopes position when you look through the scope? If you need to lower your head more than you would have with a 1" tube then you would need to raise the scope anyway and not worry too much about the looks of the clearance between the objective lense and the barrel. You just might get away with the set up if the Remington had a 60* bolt throw like a Browning. If you want to stay with that mount you may have to have the bolt handle modified or replaced.

Yep, as posted, you can mount the scope higher or go with a lower power scope. I'd do one of those, or a partial combination of both. You could also get a Browning which has the 60 degrees advertised bolt throw.

Latest posts

Back